ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Installation in a recent office remodel - 09/16/05 05:56 PM
[Linked Image from nachi.org]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Installation in a recent office remodel - 09/16/05 10:12 PM
Joe:
Looks like a 'hacked' entry for the one conduit entering from the bottom. Is that tape to the side of the conduit?? No locknut/bushing; looks like no connector. Plus what's with the pipes under the backbox?

John
One of my "bread & butter" jobs is replacing old panels. Since the old ones are usually piped in and you have the wires to wrestle with, this is where a lot of damage can happen- to the wire, the panel, and the wall.
Indeed, one of my common solutions probably gives the regulators listing heartburn: because knockouts NEVER match the arrangement of the old pipe, I've been known to cut the end plates out- and attach, in their place, the ends of the old panel.

It would be nice if panels did NOT have pre-punched knock-outs. It would be positively heavenly if panel cases were of standardised sizes- and the end plates were made to be removed (perhaps by drilling out rivets).

Yet, even getting a replacement innard for a "brand X" panel from the "brand X" manufacturer is impossible.....unless you 'go it alone' into the parts house with a tape measure, and open a bunch of boxes!

I believe that there is a need for "retro-fit friendly" panels. There's also, I believe, a place for half-width (single column) panels.
Manufacturers, are you listening?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Installation in a recent office remodel - 09/19/05 10:10 PM
Reno:
Amen to all items on your wish list; but...is anybody listening??

Sq D QOB 'panelboards' are nice.....no KO's.
(or maybe that's a loadcenter??) Ya think that after all these years I'd get it straight?
John
© ECN Electrical Forums