ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Lighting around equipment - 08/22/05 12:55 PM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Lighting around equipment - 08/23/05 12:33 AM
Assuming this is permanent equipment, and the lampholder is listed- where's the violation?
Posted By: mxslick Re: Lighting around equipment - 08/23/05 01:54 AM
Remember you asked, lol: [Linked Image]

Well, I see what looks like ordinary zip cord connecting the lampholder, no visible strain relief on the socket, it's wrapped through the pipes (could argue lack of proper support), bare bulb too close to the covering on the pipe, not adequately protected from physical damage.....

Have you seen such a lampholder in a listed, approved installation? [Linked Image] It really looks like a replacement for a table lamp assembly.

Joe: Was this resi or commercial?
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Lighting around equipment - 08/24/05 08:07 AM
Remember you asked, lol:
Well, I see what looks like ordinary zip cord connecting the lampholder, no visible strain relief on the socket, it's wrapped through the pipes (could argue lack of proper support), bare bulb too close to the covering on the pipe, not adequately protected from physical damage.....

Have you seen such a lampholder in a listed, approved installation? It really looks like a replacement for a table lamp assembly.

Joe: Was this resi or commercial?

Commercial, I too have questions concerning the comment made by the Moderator. Here's a previous thread on the same subject. It's interesting how thoughts change after time.
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000222.html
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Lighting around equipment - 08/24/05 08:12 AM
Here's another thread:
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000186.html
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Lighting around equipment - 08/25/05 12:31 AM
It is one thing to say "there's something wrong here"....and quite another to be able to say exactly what is wrong.

Now, for the life of me, I can't find a specific code section that addresses this pic.

I have seen such lampholders designed for such a "hanging" application. Indeed, they once were quite common in homes....of course, this goes back some time.
I have seen the code require guarding the bulb when used as temporary lighting, but I don't think this is temporary.
We're certainly not in a clothes closet here, nor are 'readily flammable materiels' near the bulb. I don't even see discoliration on that pipe insulation.

Sure, I'd LIKE to see better lighting- but just hwere is the NEC violated?
© ECN Electrical Forums