ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Improper use of equipment - 02/20/05 10:28 PM
What's Wrong With This Picture?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jdevlin Re: Improper use of equipment - 02/21/05 12:46 AM
The clamp on the ground rod is 1/2 installed reversed, possibly because it is too large for the rod and would not tighten.
Posted By: HLCbuild Re: Improper use of equipment - 02/21/05 01:08 AM
The ground clamp is backwards, the rod is not driven flush or below the ground level, and the GEC is not continuous to the ground rod
Posted By: iwire Re: Improper use of equipment - 02/21/05 01:34 AM
Look at page 5 of this pdf.

http://www.o-zgedney.com/PDF/MA1thru12.pdf

You can get UL listed reversible ground clamps. [Linked Image]
Posted By: hbiss Re: Improper use of equipment - 02/21/05 01:39 AM
That water pipe clamp, even if it was turned around is not listed as a ground rod clamp. I also don't know where that copper strap came from.

Proper way would have been to use a GEC long enough to reach the ground rod and an acorn or other listed clamp.

-Hal
Posted By: iwire Re: Improper use of equipment - 02/21/05 01:43 AM
Hal that clamp may well indeed be listed for that use.

The two bumps touching the rod on the 'reversed' part of the clamp are a tip off.

From page 5 of the pdf link I posted above.

• GCA, GCH and GC-100-02B are
reversible for attachment to ground rods.

Bob
Posted By: hbiss Re: Improper use of equipment - 02/21/05 01:44 AM
Bob, that's for a driven pipe grounding electrode, not a solid rod. [Linked Image]

-Hal
Posted By: hbiss Re: Improper use of equipment - 02/21/05 01:47 AM
Was typing when you were. Ok, definite could be. [Linked Image]

-Hal
Posted By: sierra electrician Re: Improper use of equipment - 02/21/05 02:03 AM
The rod clamp is rated to be used like this. I'd say the biggest violation here is the compression fitting that the Brass Conduit adapter is screwed on to. It could become loose in time.

Well thats my guess.

Rob
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Improper use of equipment - 02/22/05 12:56 AM
AM I the only one who considers this an improper means of splicing the GEC?
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Improper use of equipment - 02/22/05 03:19 AM
GROUNDING AND BONDING
EQUIPMENT (KDER)

pg. 64

2004 GENERAL INFORMATION DIRECTORY

Ground Clamps — Strap type ground clamps are not suitable for attachment of the grounding conductor of an interior wiring system to a grounding electrode.
Posted By: stamcon Re: Improper use of equipment - 02/22/05 03:38 AM
Ground Clamps — Strap type ground clamps are not suitable for attachment of the grounding conductor of an interior wiring system to a grounding electrode.

Joe, isn't this referring to a strap that wraps around a pipe or rod and is "clamped" to the pipe/rod with a pinch bolt? The following link is for the strap type ground clamp I'm thinking about.

http://ecatalog.fciconnect.com/fci/datasheet.asp?PN=GS4T50&FAM=302

[EDIT} Here is a factory manufactured product that is similiar to the one in the photo. http://ecatalog.fciconnect.com/fci/datasheet.asp?PN=C11CSH1&FAM=491
(I hope these links work...)

steve

[This message has been edited by stamcon (edited 02-21-2005).]
Posted By: iwire Re: Improper use of equipment - 02/22/05 07:17 AM
GROUNDING AND BONDING
EQUIPMENT (KDER)
pg. 64

2004 GENERAL INFORMATION DIRECTORY

Go to the forth paragraph down and it reads;

Clamps are intended for use with rod and/or pipe electrodes in accordance with the NEC and are marked with the size of electrode and electrode grounding conductor with which the clamp is intended to be used.

The 'strap type' clamp in the first part is a strap of perforated metal that you literally wrap around the pipe and install a nut and bolt between to of the perforations to tighten it up. IMO a piece of junk.

The clamp in the picture may very well be UL listed for that use.

AM I the only one who considers this an improper means of splicing the GEC?

Theres that and I was wondering why someone ran such a large conductor to an ground rod.

6 AWG Copper is all the NEC requires.

Bob
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Improper use of equipment - 02/22/05 07:23 AM
Water Pipe Ground Clamps with Copper Strap

C-11CSH-1
Good point, I wonder if they also make one for the rod, because this was what I found on the top of the page in your link

Water Pipe Grounding clamps are designed to accommodate 1/2 in - 6 in standard pipe. Constructed of bronze or zinc, hardware is zinc plated or brass (indicated by "B") or silicon bronze (indicated by "D" for direct burial). UL/CSA Certified where indicated. Ground straps and hubs also available where shown.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Improper use of equipment - 02/22/05 11:39 PM
Clamps aside this still should not pass as the rod is not flush with or below the surface and you don't have 8' in contact with the ground. (Assuming it is an 8' rod)
© ECN Electrical Forums