ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Nests Inside of Panelboard Cabinet - 05/20/04 05:12 PM
[Linked Image from nachi.org]

The Inspector said:

"Fortunately, they were old nests. He couldn't figure out how they got into the panel. There were no missing knockouts, or any openings that he could see."
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Nests Inside of Panelboard Cabinet - 05/20/04 05:37 PM
You'd be amazed where the wasps can fit in... I've come across these a couple times as well.... Panel cover not flush with the can or wall?

-Randy

PS.. Ckt 11 needs reidentified, there appears to be a black conductor on the ground bar, & why is there a stripped, loose conductor towards the top above the mudnest on the phase? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Nests Inside of Panelboard Cabinet - 05/20/04 06:08 PM
This brings me to one of my unanswered questions in electrical life.

I've read some very good posts on arranging exterior conduit to drain, then drilling holes in the lower conduit bodies or boxes for drainage (or cutting a small section of the gasket out to drain). My only problem with these solutions is...what size hole will allow drainage (allowing for some corrosion or dirt that might plug the hole), but not allow insects into the system???

Dave
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Nests Inside of Panelboard Cabinet - 05/20/04 07:28 PM
That looks like a NEMA 3R panel, if so there are drain holes at the bottom that were put there by the panel manufacturer.
Don
Posted By: mvpmaintman Re: Nests Inside of Panelboard Cabinet - 05/20/04 10:05 PM
Another good reason for safety glasses. What other PPE do you need? Contact cleaner works wonders on the live ones.
Posted By: e57 Re: Nests Inside of Panelboard Cabinet - 05/22/04 06:27 PM
Lucky they weren't live nests. I have been here before! Open the panel.... Put the cover down. Look up into angry hornets bent on destruction.

As for how they got there, they'll squeeze through any opening larger than an 1/8". Like the gap of the panel cover lid, then through the next one. It's like their bodies flatten out to squeeze through.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 05-22-2004).]
© ECN Electrical Forums