ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Rope A Dope found by young engineer! - 04/10/04 09:05 PM
ROPE-A-DOPE Story!

[Linked Image]

Mr. Tedesco,

While on a site observation in Grand Island, NY, I noticed this transformer (See attached photos). The space was vacated in April of 2003, and I was there to verify existing conditions of the electrical and mechanical systems for a future tenant.

Needless to say, a few things will have to be fixed.

I am an Electrical Engineering grad from the University of North Dakota with two years in the design/consulting field.

I was a three year electrical apprentice before and during my high school and college days. I am now an EIT, for Dunham Associates in Bloomington, MN.

I have sent these pictures around to other engineers (not only electrical, but structural and mechanical also).

Its unbelievable that a contractor would actually do this.

I thought you might enjoy (or cringe) at these pictures.

Scott Rieger, EIT
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Rope A Dope found by young engineer! - 04/10/04 11:24 PM
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
I am, for once, truly speechless!!! =X
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Rope A Dope found by young engineer! - 04/11/04 10:25 PM
One coyote comin' up... [Linked Image]

I'm surprised the pipe didn't buckle under the strain and even more surprised that the sharp edges of the transformer cabinet didn't fray and weaken the rope.

Wonder if the conduit coming out the bottom of the box is attached to the xformer.... [Linked Image]
Posted By: Ever Ready Re: Rope A Dope found by young engineer! - 04/12/04 05:48 AM
Never ceases to amaze me how rough some people will be.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Rope A Dope found by young engineer! - 04/12/04 07:04 AM
The sight of that xfmr even made me miss the flourescent light going through the wall up there also!

Randy
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Rope A Dope found by young engineer! - 04/12/04 02:41 PM
WOW! He didn't even use flex at the termination! Whats going to alow it to vibrate? [Linked Image] I was fine with the installation until I saw that :P
Posted By: ayrton Re: Rope A Dope found by young engineer! - 04/12/04 11:23 PM
The guy who did it should be hung just like that. All in favor of state wide licensing, say I
Posted By: n1ist Re: Rope A Dope found by young engineer! - 04/13/04 12:50 PM
I would guess someone (with more guts than brains) has already demo'ed the floor that this transformer and the floating wall to the right was sitting on.
Posted By: mvpmaintman Re: Rope A Dope found by young engineer! - 04/13/04 10:58 PM
Well at least they didn't use steel cable! LOL

Some guys are just too lucky for their own good, probably wouldnt even understand why were all stirred up about it.
Posted By: strangedog Re: Rope A Dope found by young engineer! - 04/14/04 12:45 PM
Reminds me of my Boy Scout days

"If you can't tie a knot, tie a lot."

SD

[This message has been edited by strangedog (edited 04-14-2004).]
Posted By: wirenut73 Re: Rope A Dope found by young engineer! - 05/28/04 07:30 PM
Kinda reminds me of a wyl E coyote and roadrunner cartoon. Please lets puts the icing on the cake, is that an ACME xformer?
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Rope A Dope found by young engineer! - 05/29/04 11:52 AM
Take a look at the method used to feed the xformer.

Pierre
Posted By: onemore Re: Rope A Dope found by young engineer! - 05/30/04 01:47 AM
looks to me like the plumbers need a pipestrap
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Rope A Dope found by young engineer! - 07/21/05 11:10 AM
Violation by a competitor?
I think n1ist hit it on the head--it looks like the xformer was originally installed on a floor that is no longer present. The disconnect would also then have been at a reasonable height.

It looks like somebody removed the floor without first taking care of whatever was supported by that floor.
Posted By: RSmike Re: Rope A Dope found by young engineer! - 07/21/05 04:39 PM
So what's worst....
The fact the the transformer is hanging by ropes or the fact that the ropes are tied to the plumbing.

RSlater,
RSmike
© ECN Electrical Forums