ECN Forum
Honestly Now!!

Maybe those old ceramic wire-nuts were useful for something!

This is really scary!!

[Linked Image from hvacloads.com]
That looks like it was a crimp-on lug connector...? Well, on 2nd look, maybe not, with the "spring" there. The other connectors are a similar yellow color.

Yes, that is scary looking. Reminds me of the crayons on the radiators in school [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 12-31-2003).]
The black stranded conductor has some of the "threads" nicked.

Ya think that could have contributed to the Marrette cheese? [Linked Image]
Hey Joe, Do you have a more zoomed-out version of that picture? I would like to see what the rest of the conductors look like. There are hints that they are not in much better shape. [Linked Image]

Below is a picture of a situation I encountered in my first house. Remodeling contractor, that also thought he was an electrician, just didn't get that fourth wire far enough into the wirenut before he applied the twist. I keep this on my desk at work as a constant reminder of how important correct electrical splices are. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image from ww2.imagewiz.net]

[This message has been edited by Mean Gene (edited 12-31-2003).]
Mean Gene:

No I found this on the HVAC site and this was the only one, but have asked the webmaster to put me in touch with the person who posted this picture there. There are many electrical hazards and that's one of the items we discuss here.

Your burned up termination at the splice is also scary.
coming to my point of view again, you wouldn't have ran into this with a wago (or a push-clamping one for stranded)........
The “drooling” connector looks like it may be hopelessly undersized for the task, based on exposed strands of black conductor.

The assembly looks like a resistance/strip/duct heater, based on the definitie-purpose {vending-machine-grade} contactor, ceramic bushing and ‘therm-o-disk’ in picture. Looks like there is other evidence of localized overheating, possibly due to an intermittent/failed ‘indoor’ fan.

The black wire looks like part of some modification—maybe THHN “building wire” jury-rigged to red “appliance wiring material”—by an unqualified person.

What is the black crusty stuff [7 o’clock in picture] around red vinyl conductor? Gross overheating is likely, and needs detailed inspection/troubleshooting.
Joe
I sent you an email with info about the post.

I'm sure he will be glad to hear from you.
What is the black crusty stuff [7 o’clock in picture] around red vinyl conductor? Gross overheating is likely, and needs detailed inspection/troubleshooting.

I think it might be "friction tape" used for electrical tape. Which would mean that some unqualified handyman has been in there...
IMO it looks like the black wire was not under the under sized wire nut, and was not properly pre-twisted to get the max surface area cunductor to conductor mating
Uh-oh Richard!
Did you say "properly pre-twisted"?
I'm getting out of the way, while the thread jack ensues.

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 01-02-2004).]
Right. Lets not open that can of worms! [Linked Image]
Richard is right. The black conductor seems to have been added as an afterthought.

Wrapped around once on the existing splice and then the same yellow cap was probably reused.

The question with stranded wire...should you pre-twist? I know I do with solid wire because otherwise the wires will slip right out.

However with stranded wire I get everything lined up evenly and let the cap do the twisting for me.

Of course I usually deal with fairly thin 18 & 16-gauge wires inside small appliances (old blenders, radios, small fans), not 14-gauge stranded wire or bigger like what is shown in there, so I don't know if "size matters" also.
The 2 red conductors at 9:00 have what looks like smoke residue on the insulation. I wonder if that was from the previous wire, before the black was "installed".

The black covering on the 2 red conductors looks like a type of loom.

steve
Yeah that black stuff looks like loom that melted. (I would know damn solder iron) and when dealing with stranded wires pretwist first. I don't know about bigger wires though as I only deal with 16-and smaller (car audio,computer,electronic projects)
The equipment was one of three 10 ton electric heat rooftop package units. I took the pic to show just how hot those wire nuts can get when the connection is not good.

[Linked Image from hvacloads.com]
This is a pic of the same unit. I wonder if the two problems are realated?

[This message has been edited by Steve Wiggins (edited 01-03-2004).]
Re: missing ’link’… I wooda’ had to climb down off the roof and spent at least an hour trying to find a 35-ampere class-J fuse! It was 95° up there.
I like the top fuse in the last picture, the strands that are not under the lug are for heat disapation, I ASSume [Linked Image]

Pierre
A wirenut is only an INSULATIVE means to a splice. God Bless a pair of lineman pliers. And Andy your RIGHT!!!!! Those wago connectors are definately very good and cost effective for splices as most of us are presented with on a daily basis. especially on the 14 and 12awg wire sizes. KUDOS on you for pointing that out!!!!
© ECN Electrical Forums