ECN Forum
INSTALLED BY AN UNQUALIFIED ROPE-A-DOPE!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Is this what is meant by a balanced load? [Linked Image]
Definitely air-cooled.
Wow, GE must be proud.

Truthfully, that is special California-qualified seismic 'medical' hemp rope. The rope also meets the new state transformer-energy savings.

No comment about the custom sprinkler-pipe suspension.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 10-08-2003).]
How about....
"but Mr. Inspector, it's only TEMPORARY, 'till we rebuild the room underneath it"

John
Any idea how much such a transformer weighs?

Few hundred pounds of iron, I assume....

That black pipe....

Oh boy.......what will happen if that thing springs a leak? Look on the bright side, you'll have water gushing down on this disaster to put the fire out quickly.

HEY, by the way...how tall a stick do you need to pull down that knife switch handle? [Linked Image]

I wish this were a cartoon. Now....where's the coyote when you need him?

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 10-08-2003).]
"Balanced load" [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
wouldn't the coyote be proud? seriously though, where did ya say ya wanted that transformer mounted? [Linked Image] for extra $20 well throw in an extendo stick to cut the power off! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by circuit man (edited 10-09-2003).]
Maybe someone stole the floor. That metal stud wall on the right seems to also be floating.
Sven this looks to me to be a basic 30 to 45 KVA 480-208/120 transformer, I would be surprised if it weighs more than 250 to 350 lbs. Still quite enough to ruin your day.

I am not defending this at all, but to me this looks like the work of demolition contractors, every thing we can see looks in a state of demo.

I would hope no EC would leave this like this, [Linked Image] 20' - 25' of unistrut and some threaded rod you could have this properly supported in under an hour.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 10-09-2003).]
Posted By: Gwz Re: Transformer in the Open Supported by A Rope! - 10/10/03 01:03 AM
Hey,

It works, don't it?

If it works, it must meet CODE !

Thats the way some of my previous super's thought.

[This message has been edited by Gwz (edited 10-09-2003).]
Bob's reply to Sven reminds me of something I told an apprentice one time. We were moving a 112.5 KVA transformenr with a couple pieces of 3/4 EMT under it to use as rollers. I told him "this is how the egyptians used to move transformers"! He said "Wow! I didn't know the egyptians used transformers"!

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry! [Linked Image]
Ryan:

He was pulling your leg!

Ask him to go and get an adjustable needle nose pliers, or a can of blue steam!

I have some other views of this "Rope A Dope Installation" and when I find them I will post them.

[Linked Image]
We were moving a 112.5 KVA transformenr with a couple pieces of 3/4 EMT under it to use as rollers. I told him "this is how the Egyptians used to move transformers"! He said "Wow! I didn't know the Egyptians used transformers"!

[Linked Image] LOL [Linked Image]

I was once involved with moving a 60,000+ lb piece of equipment a few feet.

We did it like the Egyptians, rollers under the four legs. No not EMT but solid steel bars about the diameter of 1" EMT

Bob
Ask him to go and get an adjustable needle nose pliers, or a can of blue steam!
Two favorite ones for sending apprentices to the stores at BT was for a can of tartan paint and an AC battery. [Linked Image]
I haven't had a chance to look this one over, but along the lines of "blue steam" and "tartan paint:"
http://www.shartwell.freeserve.co.uk/humor-site/fools-errands.htm
"Wow! I didn't know the egyptians used transformers"!

Of course they didn't. Thats why they had to watch TV in the dark.
Redsy:
Of course, they were watching this:
[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]

(That's Dick Clark hosting the "$10,000 Pyramid" which evolved into the $100,000 Pyramid.)
But my foreman told me to prevent vibration.
Gives new meaning to
floating neutral."
BTW, I believe that sprinkler pipes are supposed to be hung in a manner that will support the pipe, water, plus 300 lbs.
Maybe he used this method so he could apply the "hanging free in air" amperage tables?
Here's the rest of the ROPE-A-DOPE Story!

[Linked Image]

Mr. Tedesco,

While on a site observation in Grand Island, NY, I noticed this transformer (See attached photos). The space was vacated in April of 2003, and I was there to verify existing conditions of the electrical and mechanical systems for a future tenant.

Needless to say, a few things will have to be fixed.

I am an Electrical Engineering grad from the University of North Dakota with two years in the design/consulting field.

I was a three year electrical apprentice before and during my high school and college days. I am now an EIT, for Dunham Associates in Bloomington, MN.

I have sent these pictures around to other engineers (not only electrical, but structural and mechanical also).

Its unbelievable that a contractor would actually do this.

I thought you might enjoy (or cringe) at these pictures.

Scott Rieger, EIT

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 10-16-2003).]
This is a HIGH VOLTAGE Installation (get it?)

With a floating Neutral!
© ECN Electrical Forums