ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Emergency Shutoff Still in Operation? - 02/01/03 12:06 PM
[Linked Image]

This was found in an office building in Boston on Tremont Street!

Looks like it is still in operation and the break glass is gone!

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 02-01-2003).]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Emergency Shutoff Still in Operation? - 02/02/03 02:39 AM
Weren't the hooks on the right side once intended for a small chained-on hammer?
Posted By: mamills Re: Emergency Shutoff Still in Operation? - 02/02/03 03:01 PM
Joe;
This is a gag, isn't it? My grandma's house was full of these 1910-era "emergency shutoff switches". [Linked Image] These switches seem to be making a comeback in new houses built in a victorian style. These devices were nearly indestructible. I have several of these in my collection.

Mike (mamills)
Yes, the chain and hammer are missing and the glass was broken. No joke here this is for real.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Emergency Shutoff Still in Operation? - 02/04/03 05:01 PM
How is that thing any different from a regular wall switch?

The electric switches used to shut off the oil burners...are they just normal switches in a red box or is there something else to them?

What is this the "shutoff" to?
I will have to go back to that location soon to check, but it probably was for the "AC Electric Service" or maybe the heating system, which may be a oil burner.
Posted By: sparky Re: Emergency Shutoff Still in Operation? - 02/04/03 07:54 PM
Is this connected to a shunt trip main?

if so, many gas stations would have similar EM disco's.....
© ECN Electrical Forums