ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Open "off" or closed "on" position! - 10/01/02 11:40 AM
240.33 Vertical Position.

Enclosures for overcurrent devices are required to be mounted in a vertical position, unless that is shown to be impracticable.

Circuit breaker enclosures shall be permitted to be installed horizontally where the circuit breaker is installed in accordance with 240.81.

240.81 Indicating.

Circuit breakers are required to clearly indicate whether they are in the open "off" or closed "on" position.

Where circuit breaker handles are operated vertically rather than rotationally or
horizontally, the “up” position of the handle shall be the “on” position.

Top Panelboard Violation:
[Linked Image from joetedesco.com]

Picture replaced by Joe Tedesco,10-01-2002

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 10-01-2002).]
Posted By: Gwz Re: Open "off" or closed "on" position! - 10/01/02 09:38 PM
Turn the picture 90º clockwise Joe.
Posted By: sparky Re: Open "off" or closed "on" position! - 10/01/02 10:09 PM
was the 'lectrician somehow laying on his side installing this?
Posted By: txsparky Re: Open "off" or closed "on" position! - 10/01/02 11:13 PM
I was doing a service call at a conference center that was undergoing a major renovation.As I was walking around the site looking at some of the work,I noticed that the electrical contractor had mounted every disconnect that was above a hung ceiling,FACING DOWN.What an idiot!!Not just 1 or 2,all of them.He did have to redo everyone of them.
Posted By: Pearlfish Re: Open "off" or closed "on" position! - 10/02/02 08:27 PM
Nice "Hat Room".

Maybe he's an lectrician for the space station. Where "UP" is a relative term.
Posted By: Sean WB Re: Open "off" or closed "on" position! - 10/04/02 06:25 AM
I dont understand why installers do that! Looks to me like there would have been plenty of room to get that one right side up, or right side down , or uh........*ehem* you know...... whatever [Linked Image]
I wouldnt plug any of my tools in to those receptacles, they are probably 208V!!
[Linked Image] he he he
© ECN Electrical Forums