ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Length of Free Conductors for Splicing! - 09/28/02 02:46 PM
[Linked Image from joetedesco.com]

This installation of "BX" Type AC Cable.

The length of free conductors for splicing may not be long enough.

Code requires at least 6" upon entry, and the so called "redheads" are installed to protect against abraison.

Please continue!

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 09-28-2002).]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Length of Free Conductors for Splicing! - 09/28/02 03:14 PM
Safe to say the photographer’s "artistic license" and good work practices don't mesh.

You would think that the bushing maker would want his product to be shown as used in a competent installation to avoid getting dumb comments like this. {Er, “for training purposes.”}
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Length of Free Conductors for Splicing! - 09/28/02 03:22 PM
Guess the "red head" mfg doesn't own, or read a copy of the NEC. This isn't a good photo for training purposes for sure.

They may have been better off if they left the box and connectors "out of the picture", that would show the "anti-short" that they are promoting.
Posted By: stamcon Re: Length of Free Conductors for Splicing! - 09/28/02 03:24 PM
I don't see any fasteners for the box to the surface it's "mounted" against.
Come on guys this isn't an installation its an ad for bushings.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Length of Free Conductors for Splicing! - 09/28/02 05:57 PM
I live under a rock. Never have seen tab. 370-16(a) sheetmetal boxes with eccentric/concentric KOs.
http://www.afcweb.com/pdfs/afcpocketguide.pdf

Here's a new installation manual that helps to explain this type of wiring method.

The picture here was to call attention to the "redheads" and I agree that if the picture is used as is, there will be comments like those given here.

In the future, the artist may want to ask someome with experience in the electrical industry to give a look.
© ECN Electrical Forums