ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Rigid Metal Conduit/Expansion Fittings? - 08/30/02 05:56 PM
[Linked Image]

Question: Are these fittings at the lower left permitted to be encased in poured concrete?

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 09-02-2002).]
Joe,
That could be a Crouse Hinds type XD, Expansion/Deflection Coupling. If so the catalog says that they are suitable for use embedded in concrete. I think that other companies have similar products.
Don
Don: Thanks, I found this on the TradeSlang Site.

Description

Expansion Deflection couplings (joints) are fittings that allow for 3/4" movement in any direction between two pieces of Rigid, IMC or PVC conduit.

The deflection term comes from its ability to bend up to 30 degrees. They are typically used when the conduit has to withstand vibration from machinery or vehicles.

Made by Crouse-Hinds, OZ Gedney and others, they come in sizes ranging from 1/2" to 6".

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 09-02-2002).]
Joe,
Were they used in this case to correct a misalignment between the sections of conduit?
Don
No, I suppose they were installed because of the expected vibration from vehicles.
Posted By: tsolanto Re: Rigid Metal Conduit/Expansion Fittings? - 09/15/02 12:10 PM
I was at at Yankee Stadium last week and as I was passing the train tressel when I noticed what looked like the connectors in your pictures. It appears that they were used to absorb vibration from the trains.
© ECN Electrical Forums