ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco This mess is not this way anymore! - 05/29/02 10:57 PM
[Linked Image]

Joe,

I always enjoy your code violations column in here and in EC&M and since I've seen a few myself I thought I'd send one in for you to add to your collection.

I only wish I had a better picture for you!

Whenever you research an industrial facility for a system re-design you generally come across some questionable installations.

During one several years back I stumbled across this unique one.

Although difficult to count, this 600 V - 100 A breaker had approximately fourteen (14) separate conductors ranging from #14 to #2 AWG under each load side lug.

Each conductor ran a considerable distance feeding separate devices.

Do you suppose this would be considered a code violation?

This situation has since been corrected as part of the system re-design.

Dennis T. Croughwell
Mgr - Central Maintenance & Facilities Services
Posted By: sparky Re: This mess is not this way anymore! - 05/30/02 12:38 AM
good one Dennis. I'd give it 2 thumbs down without any further pix clarity
Posted By: Bjarney Re: This mess is not this way anymore! - 05/30/02 12:54 AM
Wouldn't the NEC 240 tap rules apply?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: This mess is not this way anymore! - 05/30/02 02:34 AM
(For the record) No, Tap rules would not apply.

You've got to put more smileys in there if you are kidding, ( [Linked Image] [Linked Image] )
(but we try not to do too much of that in this area anyway)

Dennis,

Thanks for sharing that with us. It is a good (bad) example of an accident waiting to happen!

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 05-29-2002).]
Posted By: joeh20 Re: This mess is not this way anymore! - 06/04/02 08:27 AM
Don't see why they would of wanted to make a mess like that, they could of charged more with a big gutter under the breaker and 4 split bolts feeding 8 split bolts feeding 14 separate circuits, like we used to have at the laundry. All wraped in rubber tape, black tape, and fiberglass tape all melted into a goo, but really hard, everytime you tapped or removed something it too three days, one to get the three lumps of goo off, one to make up, and one to regoo and tape, I was glad the night the whole mess burned to the ground, it wasn't the electrical, it was spontaneous combustion of oily rags.
© ECN Electrical Forums