ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Soffit Built Around Panel - 05/02/02 01:02 AM
Pictures show a very interesting panel to work on. The soffit built so you can open the panel door is just big enough so you can open the door.

[Linked Image]
As you can see in the photos the top screws are loose, can you blame the last electrician for leaving them loose?

[Linked Image]

You also can just barely read in the photo the working clearance label pasted to the cover of this panel stating the 36" clear working space rule.

Brian
Posted By: Scotts Re: Soffit Built Around Panel - 05/02/02 05:15 PM
It looks to me like that panel was installed with the file cabinets there. Why else would they have put it so high? You can blame the building owner for wanting a panel there. But what type of electrician would put a panel in there above the filing cabinets?
Scott
Posted By: pauluk Re: Soffit Built Around Panel - 05/02/02 08:11 PM
I suppose we should be grateful that the panel will still open.

I often find panels here where somebody has built a cupboard, shelf, or whatever right across the top half so that it's impossible to take the cover off. Just done a panel change at such a house and I had to dismantle a kitchen cupboard and take it completely off the wall just to be able to get a screwdriver into the terminals.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 05-02-2002).]
Posted By: ZR600 Re: Soffit Built Around Panel - 05/02/02 10:33 PM
The panel was there before the file cabinets. The reason I guess the panel is so high is because this area had a higher ceiling at one time before the drop ceiling was put in. This violates 380.8 with out a question. You want to talk about a mess after a remodel, you don't even want to see what is above this ceiling! Just imagine your worst electrical nightmare and you are getting the picture!..........Brian
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Soffit Built Around Panel - 05/02/02 11:11 PM
ZR-

How about some pictures of above the ceiling??? You know you can't say "electrical nighmare" on this forum without everyone asking for more! [Linked Image]
Posted By: ZR600 Re: Soffit Built Around Panel - 05/02/02 11:29 PM
I was going to try to take some but I am not sure how they will turn out in the dark up above. There are a few good ones that I can maybe drag a quartz light up there and snap a few photos. I may get back to that job next week...........Brian
Posted By: motor-T Re: Soffit Built Around Panel - 05/04/02 05:30 PM
Do these jobs actually pass inspection ? This is reminiscant of the Brick wall that was built in the family where they walled in the service panel, save for a small access hole with a wooden door on it.
What about the 6 foot. 7inch rule to the top of the breaker handle.
-Mark
© ECN Electrical Forums