ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Boat Dock Wiring - 04/17/02 06:44 PM
[Linked Image]
Rusted threads and couplings at joints pulled apart during a storm.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 08-17-2002).]
Posted By: mamills Re: Boat Dock Wiring - 04/18/02 05:19 PM
Joe:
Looks like this has been this way for a long time, as if the fittings were never screwed together at all.

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Boat Dock Wiring - 08/17/02 12:07 PM
Mike:

This wiring was installed for area lighting that was located on top of the deck and it was also broken at the T condulets. It was pulled apart during a storm.
Posted By: Curt Re: Boat Dock Wiring - 08/17/02 07:50 PM
That looks like a PVC Tee
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Boat Dock Wiring - 08/17/02 09:22 PM
No, it was not a PVC T it was a nonferrous T.

I believe that the threads just pulled out with the force of the storm at that site. I will look again next Saturday.
Posted By: Roger Re: Boat Dock Wiring - 08/17/02 09:57 PM
I have seen this after storms on docks also.

The ones I have repaired, have been even more severe than this, ie threads show being stripped.

Could this be a case for requiring some flexible connections on these installations?

Roger
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Boat Dock Wiring - 08/18/02 12:58 AM
I would permit flexible connections to help control damage were rigid connections may be more subject to serve movement during storms. I will search the NFC, because I recall reading a rule in another NFPA publication that allowed use of a suitable flexible cord.

Found it in the 2002 NEC here:

555.13 Wiring Methods and Installation.

(A) Wiring Methods.

(1) General. Wiring methods of Chapter 3 shall be permitted where identified for use in wet locations.

(2) Portable Power Cables. Extra-hard usage portable power cables rated not less than 167°F (75°C), 600 volts, listed for both wet locations and sunlight resistance, having an outer jacket rated to be resistant to temperature extremes, oil, gasoline, ozone, abrasion, acids, and chemicals shall be permitted as follows:

(1) As permanent wiring on the underside of piers (floating or fixed)

(2) Where flexibility is necessary as on piers composed of floating sections

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 08-17-2002).]
Posted By: Joel Hall Re: Boat Dock Wiring - 11/12/05 02:09 PM
Hello
I am going to do wiring on a new boat dock (not a floating kind)just wondering what kind of light fixturs would best be installed,the owner wants under rail lighting for the top deck and it is a 36x36, he does not want it bright and wants 120 volt type.
any suggestions

Thanks jhall
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Boat Dock Wiring - 11/13/05 03:18 AM
That tee is a Killark OT-1 (cast aluminum).
© ECN Electrical Forums