ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Very Old Wiring System - 03/04/02 01:42 AM
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Very Old Wiring System - 03/04/02 09:02 PM
That looks like a Sawzall and Sledgehammer Special! [Linked Image]
Posted By: wirewiz Re: Very Old Wiring System - 03/05/02 12:58 AM
It's obvious that these installations no longer comply with todays code. Is their anyone who could tell us if this was at some place in time an acceptable installation? I am curious! I have run across a number of situations probably 50 to 75 years old like this.
Posted By: seymo1 Re: Very Old Wiring System - 03/14/02 07:11 AM
jest lookin' at that frightens the heck out of me.
Posted By: Trainwire Re: Very Old Wiring System - 03/15/02 11:42 AM
I make my living restoring old railroad equipment. I have seen this type of work quite alot. In its day it was the only way you had to join heavy wire.
The guy, and its a safe bet from the apparent age of the job, that it was a guy, was probably proud of the job he did when he was done.
Think about the time it took to set up the little forge, dress, heat and tin his solid copper soldering irons, hold the connection while he wound the wire around it, flux it, solder it, and wind the friction tape around it. Can you think of trying to present that bill to the customer today? Arent't insulated set screw connectors wonderful?

Thanks for letting me join in.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Very Old Wiring System - 03/17/02 02:41 AM
Joe,

Back then, the contractors use to solder all of their connections and use rubber and friction tape. It lasted how many years with out trouble? (grin) That type of wiring method is very familer to anyone who works in old buildings, with knob and tube wiring etc. I am sure that you have seen lots of that type of wiring right? (LOL)

Harold aka Caper
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Very Old Wiring System - 03/17/02 03:28 AM
Harold:

Yes I have, and can remember watching my dad nicknamed "Jimmy Edison" make splices, and when he was finished he soldered and taped the splice using rubber and fricton tape.

I too have worked in old buildings, and once when removing a fixture, found very brittle splices (that was because the cable had wartime low grade rubber wire RH?) sized at 14 awg, and it cracked to small pieces!

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 04-28-2002).]
Posted By: harold endean Re: Very Old Wiring System - 07/12/02 01:39 AM
Joe,

I hated that old RH wire. Many times in these old homes here I would drop down and old light fixture, ( Because the home owner wanted a new one installed) only to find that all the insulation on the old RH was worn away. The homeowner had 100-150 watt bulbs in those old lights and all the insulation of the wires behind the fixture was gone. So all I had to work with was 2 pieces of bare #14 copper wire. Then the homeowner would complain to me that it took more than and hour or two to hang a light fixture.

Caper
Posted By: pauluk Re: Very Old Wiring System - 07/12/02 07:52 PM
It's a frequent problem in older houses over here. The rubber just becomes so brittle with age and the heat that it disintegrates the moment you touch it.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Very Old Wiring System - 07/12/02 10:09 PM
Paul,

Do you have warnings on Light Fixtures over in England about connecting them to older (lower insulation Temp) wiring?

Bill
Posted By: pauluk Re: Very Old Wiring System - 07/13/02 12:52 PM
Bill,

No, there are very few notes about this sort of thing on our light fixtures.

Some are supplied with two short lengths of heat-resistant sleeving for installation over the wires, but in my experience the average homeowner just throws them away.

I also see old crumbling rubber cable where people have just wrapped tape around the exposed bare wires. Trying to convince them to replace the cable is not always easy.

By the way, our PVC-insulated cable is rated 70C/160F.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 07-13-2002).]
© ECN Electrical Forums