ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Vendor's Machines Outlets - 11/04/01 01:35 PM
Vendors solution to not having enough vending machine outlets.
by Tim Heins

Here's a terrible situation waiting for the right time to start a fire, which could be any minute! Vendor's of soda and coffee machines want their machines to work, so they leave this situation. Looks like the wall is toasted, and the wires in the adapter and plug cap are probably burned as well!
http://www.agsrhichome.bnl.gov/AGS/Accel/SND/Electrical%20Safety/NFPA%2070E%202004.pdf

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 09-05-2005).]
Posted By: Tiffany Sparks Re: Vendor's Machines Outlets - 11/04/01 10:05 PM
Reminds me of the time I moved a machine at work to find the piece of paper I dropped, that had slid under the cabinet.
Maintanence wasn't "aware" of the situation, but promptly had the vendor's there to remove some equipment!
Carried my hot beverage in a thermos after that.
Posted By: Nick Re: Vendor's Machines Outlets - 11/05/01 01:11 AM
Good thing the finnish on that wall is tile and not wood!
Posted By: sparky Re: Vendor's Machines Outlets - 11/05/01 10:56 AM
so where was the OCPD ? out to lunch?
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Vendor's Machines Outlets - 11/05/01 01:20 PM
Sparky,
The problem is likely poor contact in the receptacle resulting in a high resistance connection and excessive heat, but not excessive current. OCPDs provide little protection when there is a high resistance connection in the circuit.
Don(resqcapt19)
Posted By: sparky Re: Vendor's Machines Outlets - 11/05/01 09:58 PM
Thanks Don,
so would this be a good arc-fault contestant?
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Vendor's Machines Outlets - 11/06/01 02:38 AM
Sparky,
It may very well be the type of fault that could be detected by an AFCI.
Don
Posted By: electure Re: Vendor's Machines Outlets - 11/06/01 12:57 PM
I notice the local Home Depot has a whole section devoted to this type of thing.
They've got 2 wire to 3 wire adapters, 2 wire cube taps, screwshell lampholder to 2 wire receptacle, and "homeowner quad recps" like this one.
How come they can sell this *%#@ ??
Isn't there some type of regulation??
Posted By: pauluk Re: Vendor's Machines Outlets - 11/06/01 04:47 PM
No 2-wire to 3-wire adapters here, but we've had our share of overloaded outlets with multi-way adapters as well. The better types incorporate a standard plug fuse to at least provide some extra protection.

Bayonet-cap lampholder to 2-pin outlet adapters used to be very popular for electric irons years ago.

Another problem is that some of the cheap imported plugs sold these days have very flimsy, thin fuse clips. They're fine for a lamp or TV, but on a 2kW+ load they run really hot and overheat the outlet.

I don't remember seeing one quite as bad this one though.
© ECN Electrical Forums