ECN Forum
Posted By: jay8 electrical equipment near gas equipment - 11/23/10 12:58 AM
We know that we cant put meter bases within 1metre of the gas meter, but anyone know of regulations regarding indoor installations and proximity to gas equipment in a normal occupancies, ie not hazardous?

2-322 addresses outdoor installations, I would think there would be as great a concern on indoor installations as well. Building/gas code?
Posted By: twh Re: electrical equipment near gas equipment - 11/23/10 01:05 AM
Like a furnace?
Posted By: Tesla Re: electrical equipment near gas equipment - 11/23/10 04:35 PM
Methane and electricity are integral to my stove top range.

Is that what you're talking about?

BTW, does anyone use natural gas in your province?

I thought 'hydro' was everywhere.
Posted By: jay8 Re: electrical equipment near gas equipment - 11/23/10 08:17 PM
I was referring more to a commercial/industrial environment where there are large gas burning appliances such as boilers.

And yes, natural gas is very common in British Columbia for heating appliances and is often preferred for that application over electric.
Posted By: mikesh Re: electrical equipment near gas equipment - 11/24/10 11:16 PM
The only restricion is related to the vent of the pressure regulator and the gas meter. Most Gas meters have a pressure regulator right beside the meter and the regulator has a vent opening. Electrical equipment that sparks like a receptacle or switch could ignite vented gas. 1 meter separation is all that is required for that.

since there is often an electrical connection to gas appliance I doubt there could be any more restrictions than that. Sure a leaky fitting could cause a hazard but the only restriction is the vent.
© ECN Electrical Forums