ECN Forum
Posted By: Oh Well Gas and hydro in a trench - 06/22/10 08:19 PM
To supply an inground pool I want to install water, hydro and gas in the same trench which will be 24 in. deep. The PVC for the hydro will be at 18 in. but what about the other two. Possibly the gas at the bottom which would be 6 in. from the hydro. Thanks in advance
Posted By: wire_twister Re: Gas and hydro in a trench - 06/22/10 09:09 PM
I am going to guess you are one of our neighbors to the North( canadian). In my neck of the woods, Souteastern USA this would not be a problem, with at least 6 inches of fill between each, I would still talk with each utility and get their blessing on the project. If it were my project the trench would be 30 inches deep, electric on the bottom, 6 inches of fill then gas, 6 inches of fill then water, this would give the water pipe about 16 inches of cover, plenty in my area to prevent freezing. This arrangement also means that any one who accidentily digs in to this area is likely to hit the water line first and maybe stop digging before te gas or power is cut.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Gas and hydro in a trench - 06/23/10 01:44 AM
'Stacked' electric, gas, & water is definitely not a good design decission. Common install is electric and gas in the bottom of the trench, with a minimum 6" seperation. Trench depth is 24" min. Water is not a common item in pool trenching.

BTW, the above are not 'utility company' jurisdiction here, jurisdiction is Building Dept.
Posted By: wire_twister Re: Gas and hydro in a trench - 06/23/10 02:07 AM
Hot Line
The utility does not have jurisdiction here either, but in the land of electric co-ops, and propane tanks, it helps to do anything you can to promote good relationships with the local utility companies, just makes things easier.
Posted By: jay8 Re: Gas and hydro in a trench - 06/28/10 05:40 PM
Your direction for the electrical component of course comes from 12-012 and table 53, but the other systems you have to refer also to gas and plumbing codes. I could not find anything in the CEC that discusses separation from those systems.
Posted By: mikesh Re: Gas and hydro in a trench - 06/30/10 12:49 AM
See rule 12-012 (13)
It refers to CSA standard C22.3 No.7 and because the reference is a code rule then by extension the standard becomes a compulsory part of the Electrical code for any installation that the other 12 rules do not define. In easy English if the trench is shared with other utilities on the incoming side or to an outbuilding on the consumer side then the other stuff buried must follow the Standard.
Another $175 dollar code document or just stay 300 mm away from water and sewer and gas and don't cross other services except at right angles. Electric crosses lower than sewer since sewer must be graded. Table 53 tells minimum depth of burial.
© ECN Electrical Forums