ECN Forum
Posted By: dougwells Service Equipment - 01/11/08 02:48 AM
Can someone tell me if there is a rule in the CEC that mentions the partition between the main breaker compartment and the rest of the breakers in a panel board
Thanks
Doug
Posted By: Sixer Re: Service Equipment - 01/11/08 03:58 AM
The only rule I could quickly find that states this (somewhat) is 6-306(a):
"Consumer's service raceways shall
(a) contain only the consumer's service conductors..."

If it's for service equipment it must be marked "approved for service entrance", so a barrier will come with that approval.
Posted By: dougwells Re: Service Equipment - 01/11/08 04:00 AM
Thanks that what i found too.
Posted By: CanuckSparky Re: Service Equipment - 01/11/08 01:20 PM
Rules 6-306 & 6-212 make mention of it in a round abouts way.
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Service Equipment - 01/14/08 12:22 PM
This was my original question to Doug via a private message. I have heard that the panels used in Canada are designed with a cover arrangement that permits access to the load side breakers and bus without exposing you to the line side terminals on service equipment. If this is true I think that it is a great safety idea and would like to start the process of making such a requirement in the NEC. I guess I have two questions. Is your service equipment designed as I stated above? If so what code or standard requires this?

Doug, thanks for helping out with this question.
Posted By: jdevlin Re: Service Equipment - 01/14/08 07:48 PM
Some panels. I can't speak for all have a two part panel cover. One part covers the main and the second part covers the breakers.
Posted By: jay8 Re: Service Equipment - 01/14/08 08:39 PM
Doug, do you have a copy of Part 2 of the CEC? Could be some additional rules in there that can help you out.
Posted By: dougwells Re: Service Equipment - 01/14/08 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by jay8
Doug, do you have a copy of Part 2 of the CEC? Could be some additional rules in there that can help you out.

No I dont have part2 have part one and the CD for the cost of the CD they should put part 2 on it too.:(
Posted By: dougwells Re: Service Equipment - 01/14/08 08:58 PM
This is where I assume we find it in Part 2
Canadian Standards Association
Panelboards: C22.2 #29
Posted By: dougwells Re: Service Equipment - 01/14/08 09:06 PM
Ouch

https://www.csa-intl.org/OnlineStor...p?mat=000000000002411576&Parent=4169
Posted By: dougwells Re: Service Equipment - 01/14/08 09:18 PM
I found something here

http://www.infratrans.gov.ab.ca/INFTRA_Content/doctype486/production/16442b.doc
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Service Equipment - 01/15/08 12:17 PM
Doug,
In that last link, it looks like the requirement is in a design spec and not the code or a standard. Is it common to see the main breaker or line side in a separate compartment?
Posted By: dougwells Re: Service Equipment - 01/15/08 12:27 PM
yes.
Posted By: jay8 Re: Service Equipment - 01/16/08 03:47 PM
Doug, you think thats bad, consider ULC S524 which is about 60 pages and costs 150.00 from ULC and is required document for installation of fire alarm systems. I dont know how these prices are justified.
Posted By: mikesh Re: Service Equipment - 01/16/08 05:20 PM
The construction of panelboards is part 2 code and the part 2 code fills a library. It is cumulatively all the standards for products. Doug has pointed out C22.2 #29 for panelboards Appendix A lists much of the part 2 publications for electrical products. It is just a listing of publications and 15 pages long or around 750 product standards. This is why inspectors don't enforce part 2. They would need a van to carry their code books. It is much easier to look for an approval sticker.
Panelboards used for a service entry must have the incoming lines separated from the branch section. It serves to barrier those unprotected Hydro conductors from prying fingers. It also give you a chance to shut the buss off when working in the panel.
In BC there is a directive that requires main breakers (combo panels) when located in a branch circuit position to have a barrier over the line terminals as an added safety feature.
When a panel is used as a service entry only service conductors Line, neutral, and ground may be in the main breaker section and the panel must be approved for use as service equipment. When a combination panel is used as a sub panel then branch wiring may pass through the main breaker section as long as the barrier cannot damage the branch wires as they go past.
Posted By: dougwells Re: Service Equipment - 01/17/08 09:49 PM
Just an Update from British Columbia Admendments

http://www.safetyauthority.ca/files...20-%20Protection%20and%20Control%202.pdf
© ECN Electrical Forums