ECN Forum
Posted By: RobbieD Fire Alarm Conductors - 04/12/07 04:03 AM
I know that if you are using stranded conductors with more then 7 strands you must bunch tin them or use a proper compression clamp. My question is WRT the wires in the Fire Alarm devices.

Say for example a listed device such as a supervised sprinkler valve. Inside the listed device is a micro switch with stranded copper conductors. Must these also be tinned even though it is a listed device or does that just apply to the condustors that we are bringing to the device?

I know that it would make sense to tin them but if it is required then why don't the manufacturers do it?

Just wondering if i have to get the soldering iron out to tin the conductors that are part of the listed assembly. Any help appreciated.

Thanks!
Posted By: jay8 Re: Fire Alarm Conductors - 04/12/07 02:13 PM
What I usually use is the crimp on wire caps if I am bringing stranded wire to the device, this covers the rule, I believe, since all wires are covered under an appropriate crimped connector. I also find stranded wires from the factory come tinned, unless you cut the wire and loose the tinned end.
Posted By: RobbieD Re: Fire Alarm Conductors - 04/13/07 09:45 PM
Still asking the question.
These wires were not cut, that is the way they came with the valve.
Posted By: Check Pilot Re: Fire Alarm Conductors - 04/15/07 06:18 AM
I always tin any stranded conductors and usually even go so far as to solder the stranded to the solid before putting on a wire nut. It does take a few more minutes to do, but I know the connection will not likely provide an opportunity for future corrosion and problems with intermittent troubles down the road.
Posted By: LarryC Re: Fire Alarm Conductors - 04/16/07 03:17 AM
Originally Posted by Check Pilot
I always tin any stranded conductors

One thing to watch out for when tinning stranded conductors, using them under a compression style connector can result in the failure of the connection. The soldered bundle of wire strands may fracture and break apart under compression, resulting in a loose connection.

I use the soft copper ferrules when terminating small stranded wires (16-24 AWG) in control panels for industrial applications.
Posted By: twh Re: Fire Alarm Conductors - 04/19/07 03:03 AM
If you solder the wires together, in the device, how do you separate the wires during the verification process?
© ECN Electrical Forums