ECN Forum
Posted By: SvenNYC Ground adapters - 01/26/06 06:39 PM
I thought that the sale and use of these ground-adapter devices was illegal in Canada.

Why then is this beastie being sold at a large chain like Rona? [Linked Image]

[Linked Image from rona.ca]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 01-26-2006).]
Posted By: bigrockk Re: Ground adapters - 01/27/06 12:26 AM
Hmmm, Good question.

To be honest I didn't know that they were illegal in Canada.

Wouldn't you think there would be liability issues with producing and selling items such as these?
Posted By: GETELECTRIC Re: Ground adapters - 01/27/06 08:47 PM
Just what is this device?
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Ground adapters - 01/27/06 09:43 PM
It enables you to plug a three-pin grounding plug into a two-pin socket.
Posted By: Sandro Re: Ground adapters - 01/28/06 01:17 AM
AKA a "cheater" plug.
Posted By: copperjockey Re: Ground adapters - 01/28/06 01:49 AM
NOOOoooooooooo not that thing! Obviously if the outlet has no ground prong the coverplate screw isn't grounded either! What a pointless invention!!!
Posted By: Rewired Re: Ground adapters - 01/30/06 12:31 AM
Caught my neighbour with one of them things plugged into a cheap paragon 2-prong lamp timer, used the rig to time his block heater on his car... VERY dangerous as the entire automobile is not grounded and sitting on 4 rubber "insulators"...

I always thought those things were NOT availible in canada and were actually "illegal"... I have seen them here but i always thought they worked their way up from across the border... I have never seen one on a shelf in a store actually and if so in my mind they SHOULD be banned... They are just too dangerous..
If you have an old ungrounded outlet and no ground present, just replace it with a GFI receptacle, OR GFI protect the entire circuit and install 3-pronger receptacles marked " NO EQUIPMENT GROUND"... Its code legal and at least if there IS a fault and you become the "ground", you will be better off and "code legal"

A.D
© ECN Electrical Forums