ECN Forum
Posted By: teck_ed range hood fan - 12/28/05 09:43 PM
can you feed the range hood fan in a house from the fridge outlet? I am a maint electrician and have not done house wiring for some time. I am familiar with the arc protection for bedroom plugs, 20 amp gfi's in kitchen, exaust fan sw. Help me out if you can, I would appreciate your help, thanks. This site is very helpful, keep up the interesting discussions.
Posted By: dougwells Re: range hood fan - 12/28/05 10:44 PM
Refrigerators are on a dedicated circuit, So nothing else on it is allowed.

You may connect into the kitchen light . Remember to protect the loomex with BX going though the cupboards. if your doing a kitchen remodel remember to get a permit.

If you are helping another homeowner here in BC he must take out the permit and and the assistant can not charge for helping him out.

As this would be Contracting and you would need a Contractors license to be able to Charge.
Posted By: teck_ed Re: range hood fan - 12/29/05 03:44 AM
With the 20 amp gfi's in the kitchen can I provide a 2 gang box and feed the sw for an above the sink light from another circuit?
Posted By: bigrockk Re: range hood fan - 12/29/05 03:08 PM
With the 20 amp gfi's in the kitchen can I provide a 2 gang box and feed the sw for an above the sink light from another circuit?

Yes you can as long as the circuit you are feeding from is not required to be a dedicated circuit.
As a side note GFCI’s are not required in the kitchen as per the current CEC codebook (maybe Ontario is different?). I have read on this site I believe, that the next code session will require one within one meter of the sink.

Also a 20-amp circuit is not a requirement in the kitchen, as an alternative a three wire split circuit may be used.
Posted By: dougwells Re: range hood fan - 12/29/05 04:46 PM
If your Using 20 amp circuit remember to use T slot receptacles
Posted By: Sandro Re: range hood fan - 12/29/05 08:58 PM
Ontario..... gfi t-slot 20 amp is only required when a receptacle is within 1m of the sink. If the sink is in an island, or its not feasible to put a receptacle near the sink, then you can use the standard 15 amp split wiring.

You may not put the range hood on with the fridge, however, I do believe you are still allowed to pick up the clock receptacle off the fridge. The if memeory serves me correctly, 1994 code allowed this, not sure if they ever revised this over the years.

And, yes, you may have a switch with its own feed in the same box as the 20amp recep.
Posted By: teck_ed Re: range hood fan - 12/30/05 04:34 AM
Thanks for all the info I requested, I am a maint. electrician, specializing in A & B PLC 504, If anyone has concerns or questions I will try to help if I can.
© ECN Electrical Forums