ECN Forum
Posted By: frank exhaust fan disconnect - 12/24/05 01:29 AM
I was asked to relocate a newer (existing) 600v exhaust fan disconnect.What i found was a 600v 30a fusible disconnect fused at 2 and 8/10 amp with no motor starter.This still doesn't seem right to me even after reading rule 28-500 sub rule 3(b)which i think was the rule they used to get around not having a starter?
Opinions please?
Posted By: bigrockk Re: exhaust fan disconnect - 12/25/05 02:19 AM
It doesn't seem right to me either.
28-500(3)(b) also states that the switch must be a general-use switch complying with rule 14-510, I don't think the disconnect falls in to this category.
Also what about overload protection, does this installation comply with 28-308?

fused at 2 and 8/10 amp

Wasn't exactly sure what you meant by this,
did you mean there are three fuses that are all different sizes? That would really not be good!!
Posted By: frank Re: exhaust fan disconnect - 12/25/05 12:43 PM
bigrockk,
Each line of the fusible disco has a 2 8/10 fuse on #12 wire.As for 14-510 i agree and feel that the disco isn't a general-use switch.Still haven't looked up CSA standard 22.2 NO.111 as referred to in appendix B.It seems like the installer thought the fusing would protect the motor?I just didn't want to force the issue with out checking here first
Another question i have for you is whether you ever found out what happened to Electric-ed he was a good guy and i to hope hes ok.Maybe Tony Knows?If i hear anything I'll post.
Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays and thanks for your usual quick reply.
Posted By: bigrockk Re: exhaust fan disconnect - 12/26/05 04:01 PM
Frank,

fused at 2 and 8/10 amp

Thanks for clearing that up for me, when I go back and read it now it makes perfect sense. For some reason my pea brain was registering that as one 2 amp fuse,
one 8 amp fuse, and one 10 amp fuse.

I still have not heard what happened to Electric Ed but it sure would be nice just to know that all is well with him. The way his "site" went down so fast without a word or warning seems a little strange to me.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family (and to everyone who reads this post)
© ECN Electrical Forums