ECN Forum
Posted By: Clyde Who is responsible? - 01/23/04 03:08 AM
Something has been on my mind lately. Though this isn't really an electrical question, I do have one that has been of some concern to me.
I was wondering if I as an electrician was told to... hypothetically speaking, install outdoor flood lighting 120vac, each fixture drawing about 1.8 amps. and if the only wire immediatley available was line cord rated to a maximum 90 volts. If I told the supervisor (who also is an electrician) that I couldn't install the lights until proper wire was delivered, he or she then instudcted a junior person to use the same wire and go ahead and installed the lights anyway. Hypothetically speaking of course.

My question then is, who is actually responsible if a problem occurrs. The supervisor, or the junior electrician who installed the lights.

Thanks for your input folks.

Clyde.
Posted By: ggardiner Re: Who is responsible? - 01/23/04 08:02 PM
Do you want to know who is responsible or who will be blamed if it is caught or something bad hads from it. He who hold the permit will go down first then he will bring down the others involved claiming he was not aware of what was done. Personally, when faced with these things I asked them to give me the order in writting. At that point I was usually asked (not so nicely to get off the project). Someone faced with that kind of choice when it comes down to construction in this country has a real problem on their hands.
© ECN Electrical Forums