ECN Forum
Posted By: kitha Elevator disconnect - 09/27/03 07:33 PM
I understand that that as per Canadian electrical code section 38, elevator needs a fused(ttype D) disconnect switch inside the machine room. I have an application where the elevator is fed from a remote breaker panel via the disconnect inside the room. What are the requirements/considerations to select the remote breaker. I guess it needs to be selectively coordinated with the fused disconnect switch in case of a fault.
Posted By: Tony Moscioni Re: Elevator disconnect - 09/28/03 10:02 PM
Rationale for Rule 38-034.

Where there are other disconnects upstream controlling power to the elevator machine room, these shall be coordinated to ensure that any fault in the elevator system will trip the disconnect in the elevator room. Under some circumstances, in large machine rooms with multiple machines and controllers, additional switches are required for the protection of elevator service personnel.

Intent for Rule 38-034

We intend that the disconnecting means for all elevator circuits be in the machine room readily accessible to elevator service personnel—for whose protection each disconnecting means shall be plainly marked and lockable in the open position. Escalator disconnect switches shall be located in the same location as the controller.

Tony Moscioni
Electrical Inspector
Electrical SDafety Authority
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Elevator disconnect - 09/28/03 10:26 PM
Hasn't the been adequately covered yesterday and today at http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?SQID=72839&SPID=238&page=1 ?
Posted By: kitha Re: Elevator disconnect - 09/29/03 04:28 AM
Hi Tony! Thanks for the rationale. In CEC or any commonly applied by-laws, are there any other situations that fused disconnects are mandatory? Why can't we use non fused disconnects?
Posted By: kitha Re: Elevator disconnect - 10/08/03 02:30 AM
Upon nobody's reply to my question and with my later findings/hearings from close friends I would like to know if there's any UL requirement that fused disconnect switches are mandatory for air conditioning machines and whatever that do not have built in overload protecion.
© ECN Electrical Forums