ECN Forum
Posted By: sparkyga nonmetallic sheathed cable - 12/29/02 09:24 AM
Hi Guys

I have never seen loomex(NMD) surface mounted in a house(without a raceway), but according to the code unless it is exposed to mechanical damage or closer then 1.5 Metres from the floor it is allowed (CEC 12-518). I had a discussion with an individual and he is saying there is no problem with this if he wanted to do it. This leaves allot of room for bad judgement. I have never seen a house wired in this matter and it obviously would not look good but can you prove to me that it can not be done. If he decided to surface mount a cable from a switch to a light in the ceiling and not use a raceway could he get away with it

Thanks
Greg
Posted By: Tony Moscioni Re: nonmetallic sheathed cable - 12/30/02 07:42 PM
Greg,

I don't like the answer, but quite frankly, he could actually pass inspection.

The code only specifies mechanical protection if it was installed less than 1.5m.

As well, there is no requirement in the standard CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 48-M90
(Reaffirmed 2000)
Nonmetallic Sheathed Cable.

Rationale and Intent for Rule 12-518.

Where cables pass through floors or are located less than 1.5 m above a floor, we intend that they be protected from mechanical damage such as by the use of metal conduit or guard strips or installed in a location where there is no potential hazard.

Tony Moscioni
Electrical Inspector
Electrical Safety Authority
Posted By: ZackDitner Re: nonmetallic sheathed cable - 12/31/02 10:08 PM
so if i wired my whole house with NM cable 5' off the floor nailed to the walls there would be no problem?
Posted By: sparkyga Re: nonmetallic sheathed cable - 01/03/03 12:36 AM
Thanks for the answer:

It is good to know this just in case I run into a situation where I forget to pull the electrical in the walls before the drywall.This way I can just hang it from the ceilings and walls unless I have a few monkeys that might cause mechanical damage by hanging on it.!!!!!!

Later
© ECN Electrical Forums