ECN Forum
Posted By: AllClear Multiple Grid Tie Inverters - 09/05/13 06:19 AM
I've been kicking around PV for my farm.
But after watching YouTube videos of guys with Multiple eBay Chinese special grid tie inverters, I couldn't help wondering if you had two of them going at the same time when the grid went down if they wouldn't keep each other going and possibly make a fatality out of a lineman?? They are supposed to shut off output power when they sense grid loss.
It Seems like something that should be addressed somehow.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Multiple Grid Tie Inverters - 09/05/13 08:03 AM
I think they are smart enough to see the grid drop. Scott may be better to guess at this but I think they actually trigger on the rising grid voltage above zero and kick in a few hundred microseconds after that. With no grid, none of them would trigger.

The open question might be if a small battery inverter would trigger them but you would still have to isolate that from the grid with a transfer switch.
Posted By: shortcircuit Re: Multiple Grid Tie Inverters - 09/05/13 11:55 AM
UL-1741 listed Grid Tied Inverters have to shut down upon loss of power from the grid. I don't know what type of black market junk is selling on ebay...but any legitimate company installing PV systems with the proper inspections won't be buying equipment on ebay...
© ECN Electrical Forums