ECN Forum
Posted By: HotLine1 How many solar installers here???? - 04/10/11 07:08 PM
How many solar installers here???

Please note: IF you are not a registered forum member...why don't you register & join??

Admission (membership) here is free! The members share their wealth of experience, in many areas.

Register....it's quick & free, and there are only a few 'rules'.

Posted By: HotLine1 Re: How many solar installers here???? - 04/14/11 12:04 AM
Sounds like no one here is installing solar??
Posted By: sabrown Re: How many solar installers here???? - 04/14/11 09:27 PM
Not installing but designing and inspecting a fair share.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: How many solar installers here???? - 04/15/11 07:40 AM
I have installed several systems in the 3kw range up here. Scheduled to install a 2600w system this summer
Posted By: KJay Re: How many solar installers here???? - 04/17/11 02:25 PM
I'm connecting two new solar panels in parallel on an RV, for a grand total of 12W/800mA/15VDC... does that count as a solar install? laugh
The manufacturer says I don't even need a charge controller until I reach 15W, but I’m putting one in anyway, since I may also want to connect the existing 6W panel, if I find that it's still functional.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: How many solar installers here???? - 04/20/11 02:46 PM
Kjay:

OK, IMHO you're in!!!
Posted By: Vindiceptor Re: How many solar installers here???? - 04/21/11 12:11 AM
Designing and installing here.

50kW to 1MW systems, 18 so far and almost 10.3MW in all in the last two years.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: How many solar installers here???? - 04/21/11 12:53 AM
Vindiceptor:
If I haven't said it yet....Welcome to ECN forums!!

You are a solar installer for sure!! Have you checked out the PV pics floating around this site? Most are from installs in the Twp I work in as AHJ. We have a 4.xxMW system that is operating in 'test/certify' right now. That's in a thread called 'Bigger'. I'm hoping to get some pro pics released from the owner soon, ad there is supposed to be a video documentry of this project coming.

Anyone else???

Posted By: odbob Re: How many solar installers here???? - 05/17/11 07:46 PM
I installed, for a Customer, 6 kW pv some 16 years ago 3 on south facing 3 on west facing, 2 Sunny boy inverters plus export meters. Installed 600 watt pv on my own property some 8 years ago, and due to install another 150 watt on my property, both of these feed into a battery set
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: How many solar installers here???? - 05/18/11 01:23 AM
Odbob:

Welcome to ECN Forums from one of the 'Jersey Guys'!!

Jump right in anytime you feel the need!

Posted By: solar2011 Re: How many solar installers here???? - 05/25/11 06:57 PM
How are those Sunny Boys treating you?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: How many solar installers here???? - 05/25/11 07:18 PM
Solar2011:
If nobody said it yet...
Welcome to ECN Forums!!!

Just an FYI, I'm not a solar installer, but an AHJ here in New Jersey.

NJ is chasing the shaky side with solar, I believe we are #2 or 3 in capacity. We recently put a 4.28 MW rooftop on line in my town.

Posted By: sparkyinak Re: How many solar installers here???? - 05/26/11 07:09 PM
I finally got permission from my employer to post some pics of projects I did. I just need some time to sit down in front of a computer to do it.
?=^P
Posted By: harold endean Re: How many solar installers here???? - 05/29/11 02:21 AM
Solar2011,

I too am an AHJ here in NJ and the PV systems are going big around here. I get to inspect a PV system at least 5 times a month if not more. Nothing as big as the one John inspected, but we have a few large ones around here.
Posted By: sparky Re: How many solar installers here???? - 06/27/11 12:37 AM
well HotOne, there are certian distinctions that might be good to think about when using the term 'solar installer' and/or other alt energy installers

I've done them for years up here in the puckerbrush, and really didn't think anything of it, at least not past art690

a 'lectrician is a 'lectrican is a 'lectrian........

Then i found out about the NABCEP>>>>
http://www.nabcep.org/

So here's the deal, you and i can pull a permit (state laws proiding) , and do an install, but those very same states also only dole out the rebates for a NABCEP cert

so you see, the plot thickens with the usual buearcracies having a finger in the pie.....

~S~
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: How many solar installers here???? - 06/27/11 01:39 AM
~s~:

Last I heard, and just checked at the site....there are no more rebates being accepted. (Period)

I remember someone saying last fall (2010) that the 2011 year rebates were a fraction of what they have been in years past, and.....they were ALL 'spoken for' as of fall 2010.

So, based on that, guess it doesn't matter what assorted alphabet you have on your business cards, other than the Electrical License.

Posted By: sparky Re: How many solar installers here???? - 06/27/11 02:15 AM
I stand corrected HotOne.

and to be honest, this outside cert snafu tweaked a few noses around here....

~S~
Posted By: gfretwell Re: How many solar installers here???? - 06/27/11 02:51 AM
FPL just opened up a $2 /KW rebate program here but I have not looked at it in detail yet. There is still a federal tax deal too ... but hurry. That might not last until fall.
© ECN Electrical Forums