ECN Forum
Posted By: KJay WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle - 10/10/09 04:50 PM
I saw this and my BS meter pegged and is now broken. When I noticed the price each of $147.72, I almost fell over. Anyone here ever installed one of these?

WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle

I did a search here and found another post from 2003 on the subject, so apparently these have been around for quite a while now.
Has there been any further testing done in the last six years to verify the credibility or advantage in using these receptacles for audio applications?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle - 10/10/09 05:16 PM
Did you read the reviews?
Posted By: KJay Re: WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle - 10/10/09 06:57 PM
Tried, but the link for the WattGate in the old post says, "File not found".
I did find a "review" by a supposed audiophile that says it provides "synergy" to their system... whatever that implies with regard to this application.

That's why I asked if there "Has there been any further testing done in the last six years to verify the credibility or advantage in using these receptacles for audio applications?"
I haven't found anything yet though and it sounds like I probably won't.
Posted By: KJay Re: WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle - 10/10/09 08:02 PM
EDIT:
Just to clarify... did you mean the reviews on the link I gave?
If so, I'm not sure what to make of those. They appear to be a bit confusing, since some of them seem negative or even sarcastic, but then they go and rate the item with high marks. This seems to negate using them for any real comparative purpose.
Possibly this is just their way of indicating what a joke the receptacle is and that it shouldn't be taken seriously.
Posted By: noderaser Re: WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle - 10/11/09 02:24 AM
I wonder if there is an entry in the DSM-IV for people who spend $150 on a duplex outlet, in the hopes that it will make their sound system better. People who believe that spending hundreds of dollars on gold-plated everything will make their system sound better than using el-cheapo cables must be suffering from some kind of mental dysfunction. Maybe they truly hear a difference, or their invisble audio friend tells them it's much better.

Perhaps this could be a study for someone going for a Masters/PhD in psychology; do blind-tests with audio systems connected with gold-plated components, versus stuff bought at Dollar Tree.
Posted By: twh Re: WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle - 10/11/09 04:17 AM
The reviews are awesome. The reviews, alone, are worth five stars.
Posted By: Obsaleet Re: WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle - 10/11/09 04:53 PM
That was some of the most comical reading I have enjoyed in a while. I commend the creative juices of the raters.LOL
Posted By: A-Line Re: WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle - 10/11/09 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by KJay
I saw this and my BS meter pegged and is now broken. When I noticed the price each of $147.72, I almost fell over. Anyone here ever installed one of these?

WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle

I did a search here and found another post from 2003 on the subject, so apparently these have been around for quite a while now.
Has there been any further testing done in the last six years to verify the credibility or advantage in using these receptacles for audio applications?

These are an easy sell when you have customers who buy their speaker cables here. http://www.higherfi.com/cables/1
Posted By: Trumpy Re: WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle - 10/12/09 12:47 AM

Hmmm,
I wouldn't imagine it's that easy to test both smoke and mirrors with the same test instrument. aspirin
Posted By: Scott35 Re: WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle - 10/12/09 11:13 AM
Those reviews are Hilarious!!! yay crazy clap

Saved both pages (web pages) of reviews as PDFs.

Think I will include them with the next submittal package, just for fun!!! wink
Posted By: KJay Re: WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle - 10/12/09 11:07 PM
Jeez... I guess they would be... $4200.00 for speaker wire?... That is truly insane.

I think I see an opportunity to introduce a line of compact, true "Audio Grade" isolation transformers for ultra clean power for optimum amp performance, complete with battery backup to prevent preset tuner channel memory loss during power outages and two onboard WattGate 381 duplex receptacles.
I could give it an esoteric European sounding name, like "DuhmHaas" and sell them for $6500.00 each. laugh
Posted By: A-Line Re: WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle - 10/13/09 04:15 PM
Jeez... I guess they would be... $4200.00 for speaker wire?... That is truly insane.

I think I see an opportunity to introduce a line of compact, true "Audio Grade" isolation transformers for ultra clean power for optimum amp performance, complete with battery backup to prevent preset tuner channel memory loss during power outages and two onboard WattGate 381 duplex receptacles.
I could give it an esoteric European sounding name, like "DuhmHaas" and sell them for $6500.00 each. laugh

You just need to start selling oxygen free audio grade romex at these prices. smile http://www.higherfi.com/cables/1

Posted By: noderaser Re: WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle - 10/14/09 04:48 AM
Why not use solid gold romex?
Posted By: electure Re: WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle - 10/15/09 10:55 PM

Unfortunately, this Wattgate receptacle isn't offered in a Tamper Resistant model. bash

Posted By: Scott35 Re: WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle - 10/16/09 12:39 AM

Unfortunately, this Wattgate receptacle isn't offered in a Tamper Resistant model. bash

Dang!! I need 25 of the Wattgate Receptacles for various Audio Equipment around the House, and they have to be Tamper Resistant...

I must have the ultra-awesome Wattgate Receptacles for any Audio equipment - even the AM / FM Clock Radios must use these Receptacles - or risk poor Audio output, possibly major internal ear damage from having to withstand sub-par Audio.

The $145.00 per unit price is a non-issue for pure, clean Audio output from any Audio Equipment!

I also use the $1,000.00 per foot Speaker Cables, connected to Diamond fitted, Platinum Based, Jewel Encrusted 100% Gold (O2 free, of course) Terminals on all Audio Equipment (Clock Radios included).

I am definitely joking around, however I am sure there are many "Wattgate" and similar Customers, whom would refer to the above list as "default" - judging from the fact that the Receptacles are STILL BEING SOLD FOR $140 + !!! eek shocked bash

Just wanted to add humor.

Scott
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle - 10/17/09 09:59 AM
Scott... You should really bring this up to them... they might even let you test the prototype Leviton with a serial number! whistle
Posted By: Zapped Re: WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle - 10/19/09 10:33 PM
Why do I not have ideas like this!!??

Roll a silkscreen with some blue ink on a $7 spec-grade 20A outlet, then charge an unknowing, over paid sucker $147. Genius!

I only say $7 instead of $2 because this looks like a back-wired screw-down receptacle, which tend to be a tad more pricey.

(BTW, the answer is that I'm not a crook. I prefer to work for a living)
Posted By: Scott35 Re: WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle - 10/20/09 04:37 AM
Lostazhell

Scott... You should really bring this up to them... they might even let you test the prototype Leviton with a serial number!

I contemplated adding the Cut-Sheets to the Submittals package as a bit of humor, but decided against it, as this job has insane specs!

I am submitting cut-sheets on EVERTHING!!! including Tape!!! eek

On the other hand, the Architects are really pushing an expensive design, so they might actually want to use the Wattgate Receptacles, and hire me for performance research!
thumbs

Scott
Posted By: dougwells Re: WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle - 10/20/09 07:24 AM
I am seeing double it must be late laugh
Posted By: Scott35 Re: WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle - 10/20/09 03:15 PM
Please pardon the double post!

I deleted the "Redundant Version" wink

Scott
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle - 10/24/09 02:07 AM
Of course, if you go with the Wattgate receptacles, you don't want to plug just ANY power cord into them...

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/shunyata_powersnakes.htm

rolleyes
Posted By: twh Re: WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle - 10/24/09 03:20 PM
Good link about the power cord. Here's a testimonial about one of them:
"By the way, the King Cobra (forerunner to the Anaconda) is a truly remarkable product. Do you know that when I plugged it in the wall, the TV ( which is on another side ) suddenly had much deeper colors and sharper contrast. I know this may sound like I am losing my sanity, but it is actually true. Now the sound coming out of those dear B & W's got very full - I demonstrated Sarah Brightman's "Phantom of The Opera" for friends. It is quite a sensational cord, now I am glad I got this instead of the Electraglide - which I almost purchased. The problem is - if one raves too much about a " power cord ", people will just call it hyperbole and think the brain has had too much Espresso café. This is, however, the first product I have used, where the hype is running far below its performance. I still don't understand how one product, the KC, can be soooo much better than the others in it's class. I wish I understood the technical logic. If the patent number is available, I'd like to read it".
Posted By: noderaser Re: WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle - 10/25/09 07:32 AM
Patent for creating a power cord that makes people spend crazy amounts of money?
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle - 10/25/09 08:13 PM
Good News... They can be had MUCH cheaper! laugh

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]
Crutchfield.com wants $49.99. PS Audio spec talks about multiple nickel plating, rather than gold.

Click here
Posted By: wa2ise Re: WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle - 10/30/09 03:21 AM
What about the cyro treated outlets? Can't have hi-fi music without them! laugh

If that fancy snake (oil) power cord has a braided shield over the conductors, it might lower hum pickup by the audio patch cords. You could sell a customer on BX or conduit for for house wiring for the same reason (the metal armor or pipe acts as an electro static shield to block hum leakage into the audio patch cords and equipment).
Posted By: hbiss Re: WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle - 10/30/09 04:53 AM
No where is that story about the whack job who wanted his UG service wire replaced with copper so his audio system will sound better?

-Hal
Posted By: KJay Re: WattGate 381 Audio Grade Receptacle - 11/11/09 01:21 AM
Originally Posted by Trumpy

Hmmm,
I wouldn't imagine it's that easy to test both smoke and mirrors with the same test instrument. aspirin

laugh laugh laugh
I can only assume the manufacturers morality is equal to their products ability to provide increased audio performance. Which is zero, so it's a perfect match.
If they'e that obsessed, they can just buy a hubbell corrosion resistant and be done. Save a buck, too! (or 100grin smile )
© ECN Electrical Forums