ECN Forum
Posted By: drum RG6 as component cable - 01/21/08 12:26 AM
I have been buying bundled RGB cable for some HDTV installs which has 6 mini coax and 2 cat5 wires inside. Most are done HDMI. It is handy but am thinking if I need a couple extra component cables RG6 quad sheild with RCA ends on it would work the same. Any opinions?
Posted By: TOOL_5150 Re: RG6 as component cable - 01/21/08 01:43 AM
Yes it works. Component cable has an impedance of 75 ohms and so does RG6. I have crimped RCA's on a triplex of rg6 and it worked well. I try to keep them the same length - Im not sure it really makes any difference, But I do know there is a horizontal and vertical sync that is transmitted through the cables.

~Matt
Posted By: classicsat Re: RG6 as component cable - 01/21/08 03:41 AM
Rarely is RGBHV used anymore (in consumer circles anyhow), except for computer monitors.

For consumer level Component video, sync is part of the Y signal (green plug). RGB has the sync on green.
Posted By: brianl703 Re: RG6 as component cable - 01/23/08 10:25 PM
All the Costco stores I've been to have their demo TVs connected with RG6 component cables. Looks like they use Snap N Seal RCA connectors or some other similar type of compression connector.

I guess you could use RCA to F adapters instead of RCA connectors.
Posted By: sparks_n_shorts Re: RG6 as component cable - 01/27/08 01:45 AM
rg6 does work, but be careful with the F to RCA connectors. Sometimes the added length makes it hard to fit behind a wall mounted plasma. Most companies make compression fittings in RCA for RG6.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: RG6 as component cable - 01/27/08 05:39 PM
They sell made up cables with one end "right angle" so they do fine in the close quarters behind a wall mounted TV. I doubt you could build a set for what they cost if your time is worth anything.
© ECN Electrical Forums