ECN Forum
[Linked Image]
Pat. Het. Ic.
ROFL, you little rascal! I was just about to reach for my old latin primer when I got it.
Veni, vidi, ego!
I came, I saw, I got!
I'll bite. What kind of service drop are we looking at? The lighter cable looks like it changes into an Pressurized RF cable. Is it for some sort of Radio Antenna?

Larry C
I believe this is the drop from the cable TV provider.
Originally Posted by renosteinke
I believe this is the drop from the cable TV provider.

That explains it.

Ian A.
If a structure has vinyl siding,a demolition contractor can cure it.

There are a number of things that go with vinyl siding,A Yugo in the driveway, Haier appliances, oh and Zinsco and or FPE gear...
Well if that's the case I'll keep the asbestos...
As old as this thread is ....

Has NO ONE a good pic of a proper CATV drop to post in contrast to this one?

Here are some issues - and I'd like to see how the trade addresses them:

1) Shouldn't the coax be supported by a steel wire as it runs from the pole to the house?

2) What sort of attachemnt is used at the house?

3) Where's the drip loop?

4) How are the wires to be attached to the eaves? Wire staples?

5) How is the splitter to be protected from weather? And,

6) Where and how do you ground? Let's see the hardware. You might even suggest some suppliers (apart from the places most frequently visited by electricians).
http://www.tnb.com/pubint/docs/diamond_sachs_us.pdf
Reno:
I'll take the camera and see if I can find something. Doug already answered the hardware issue.

picture

Attached picture images_SR_CATV.jpg
What's the deal with using the service mast to support/anchor the cable??
That bonding point on the meter pan here (POCO Rule) won't happen here either.

Is this all Canadian devices?
Originally Posted by HotLine1
What's the deal with using the service mast to support/anchor the cable??
That bonding point on the meter pan here (POCO Rule) won't happen here either.

Is this all Canadian devices?

http://www.tnb.com/ps/con/msds.cgi?action=tiff2pdf&f=/shared/inst/206302.tif
http://www.seniorindustries.com/

a USA Company but they are the only one i have found for CSA approved grounding blocks.
Why go with those fancy devices? My cable drop appears to be a bent lag-hook (guess lag-eyes were outside of the budget) and misc. wire wrapped around the coax to provide "strain relief". Bonding is done via one of those meter-pan clamps; it's not a very good bond due to the layers of paint on the pan.
I knew I could count on Doug to provide some solid links - thanks, buddy!

I re-opened this thread because it's a lot easier to say 'that looks wrong' ... than it is to say 'I know how to do it right.'

The meter-pan clamps and sundry 'pipe clamp like straps' we see might seem inadequate - but only very recently has the NEC required electricians to provide a bonding point on the OUTSIDE of the service.

I raised the issue of mounting, not just because of my picture, but because so many 'good' installs hang the wire from the service mast - something the NEC prohibits.

As you might have gussed, I have my own dog in this fight. My current accomodtions are served by a cable install far worse than the picture at the top of this thread - something I intend to address.

This - and the inadequacy of the local parts houses - reminded me that most 'real' electricians actually have very little direct experience with CATV. So - Let's have a learning opportunity laugh
Reno:

I agree there are some really bad cable installs, along with telco installs.

The cable drop on the service mast is a no-no, and gets a red sticker IF that's how it is upon inspection. However, when the cable/telco guys arrive after the inspection, the install was already approved.

IF I have to go back for a re-inspect, or a final....that's another story. If it's a new house, or a renovation I give a red tag to the builder/HO to contact cable/telco for a NEC violation. It's tough, & a case-by-case issue.

This is the Spec from our telco and catv for new homes

http://about.telus.com/publicpolicy/bics_bc/docs/p546.pdf
Doug:
I have seen the meter pan gizmos within a PowerPoint I received from Erico. They did a comparison of devices and $$ for the 250.94 requirement.

Our POCO (PSE&G) does not allow anything attached to the meter pan.

Thanks again for the links
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Doug:
I have seen the meter pan gizmos within a PowerPoint I received from Erico. They did a comparison of devices and $$ for the 250.94 requirement.

Our POCO (PSE&G) does not allow anything attached to the meter pan.

Thanks again for the links

I have heard in many areas that is the case fwiw I have never seen one installed. I have seen the the CATV guys use one that connects to the meter pan corner though.
My all time favorites are the Dish/CATV installers that use the 2"/2-1/2" pipe clamp on the PVC risers!! Way to go!
All of these things are what caused the inter system bonding block rule.
Which, IMHO is a good addition to the code.

Prior to that a fairly standard thing here was for them to extend the tail of the 4g solid GEC out through the hole behind the meter can and leave about a foot or so hanging in the air for the other providers to split bolt to.
The inter system grounding block made that a lot more elegant.
Perfectly legal here to use the electrical service mast for the telephone and cable drop. Must be 1 foot lower than the power but still at least 2 feet above the roof.
They have modified 230.28?
"... Only power service-drop conductors shall be permitted to be attached to a service mast."
Good citation, Greg ... but please note that Mikesh is one of our Northern Cousins.

While we're on the topic of proper RG-6 installations ... what is the trade's opinion of securing the cable using simple (appropriately sized and shaped) wire staples? Are they OK, or is the use of the plastic hooks preferred?
I bet you, I can see every staple on a scope set up for TDR if you crush the shield a little.
Whether that will show up on your TV is just how bad the cable is damaged.
Its interesting the way our local utilities address this on their web sites.

Manitoba Telecom Services says they will not attach to the electric service mast and one for telephone service must be provided for them if required for ground clearance.

Manitoba Hydro does not reference external attachments to the mast at all in their service requirement pages.

Shaw cable also has no residential service entrance requirements regarding attachment points that I could find on there web site.
Originally Posted by gfretwell
All of these things are what caused the inter system bonding block rule.

So does my new block have to be bonded with the service bond? or can I down size it? (lazy tonight,not looking in the book )
6 Ga copper 250.94

250.94 Bonding for Other Systems.
An intersystem bonding termination for connecting intersystem bonding and grounding conductors required for other systems shall be provided external to enclosures at the service equipment and at the disconnecting means for any additional buildings or structures. The intersystem bonding termination shall be accessible for connection and inspection. The intersystem bonding termination shall have the capacity for connection of not less than three intersystem bonding conductors. The intersystem bonding termination device shall not interfere with opening a service or metering equipment enclosure. The intersystem bonding termination shall be one of the following:
(1) A set of terminals securely mounted to the meter enclosure and electrically connected to the meter enclosure. The terminals shall be listed as grounding and bonding equipment.
(2) A bonding bar near the service equipment enclosure, meter enclosure, or raceway for service conductors. The bonding bar shall be connected with a minimum 6 AWG copper conductor to an equipment grounding conductor(s) in the service equipment enclosure, meter enclosure, or exposed nonflexible metallic raceway.
(3) A bonding bar near the grounding electrode conductor. The bonding bar shall be connected to the grounding electrode conductor with a minimum 6 AWG copper conductor.

© ECN Electrical Forums