ECN Forum
Posted By: iwire What Cable Should I Use? - 12/17/06 01:19 PM
I am running new cable TV conductors in my home.

What should I use?

I am not looking for the most expensive cable on the market, only a cable that will do the job.

Also some recommendations on the connectors, tools would be very helpfully.

Thanks in advance, Bob
Posted By: WESTUPLACE Re: What Cable Should I Use? - 12/17/06 02:11 PM
Most cable co want Quad shield RG-6. Some will not hook up to any other type of cable. Cable co. use aircraft freq. and well shielded cable prevents signal from radiating. Also if you live within 30 miles of local TV ststions, well shielded cable prevents brodcast stations direct pickup. (causes leading ghost and crosshatch on some channels)Robert
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: What Cable Should I Use? - 12/17/06 02:45 PM
I was talking to my dad about this last night. He's been told to use Quad-shieled RG-6, and not to hook up anything else. (Unless of course it's old cable that he needs to tie into, like repacing a drop.)

Ian A.
Posted By: WESTUPLACE Re: What Cable Should I Use? - 12/17/06 04:39 PM
Snap & seal connectors are the most used, T&B, Gem and others make them. A special tool is required to install them. I have an Ideal brand that works well. Robert
Posted By: mkoloj Re: What Cable Should I Use? - 12/18/06 01:38 PM
I will second the quad shield rg-6 and snap n seal connectors.
Depending on the complexity of any future plans, you might want to run 2 cables to each location.

[This message has been edited by mkoloj (edited 12-18-2006).]
Posted By: wrichey Re: What Cable Should I Use? - 12/20/06 06:33 AM
All good suggestions.

I would like to add when you buy your coax make sure the braided shield is all copper. No aluminum, it's well worth the $$
Posted By: caselec Re: What Cable Should I Use? - 12/20/06 07:06 AM
Wrichey, welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately I have to disagree with your recommendation. 99% of the copper shielded RG6 has an 80% shield and is designed for CCTV use only. It should never be used for CATV or DBS wiring. You can get copper shielded RG6 cable designed for CATV/DBS use but it is very expensive and not necessary. Monster MV-Quad does have copper shielding and retails for around $.75/ft. There are other copper and silver shielded cables available for substantially more.

Curt
Posted By: Trumpy Re: What Cable Should I Use? - 12/21/06 01:10 AM
I was under the impression that the braid on a coaxial cable was tinned copper, not aluminium.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: brianl703 Re: What Cable Should I Use? - 12/21/06 04:54 AM
I recall reading somewhere that aluminum-braid coax is a relatively recent invention, having come out in the 1970s (not 100% sure). Apparently this is because the technology to make a braid out of aluminum did not exist until then. I believe this type of cable was known as Aluminax at one point.

I don't know how true this is but I have never seen really old aluminum coax.
Posted By: iwire Re: What Cable Should I Use? - 12/21/06 12:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I am not a fan of "Monster Cable" anything.

IMO they run a good scam making people pay to much for to little.

I have average equipment and have no problems with the picture quality in the house now.

I am just running the cable in the walls to new locations and want to make a good choice of product.

The old cables are a mix of cable types, splitters and couplings run both inside and outside the house by the cable company
Posted By: hbiss Re: What Cable Should I Use? - 12/21/06 04:57 PM
Easy solution to this quandry is to find out what the cable company is using. You are, after all going to interconnect with them. Hell, ask nice, tell them what you are doing and they may even give you a box.

Unless you use the same connectors that they use expect to have them cut off so take that into consideration when providing tails as well as purchasing connectors.

-Hal
Posted By: brianl703 Re: What Cable Should I Use? - 12/21/06 06:02 PM
Who is the cable company?

If it's Cox or Comcast they use quad-shield cable, usually Commscope F6SSVV. I have seen TFC (Times Fiber Coax) cable used also, but not within the last several years.

If it's Adelphia, they were using double-shield cable because they were too poor to pay for quad-shield [Linked Image] I have no idea what they're using now that Comcast owns them. Probably quad-shield.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: What Cable Should I Use? - 12/22/06 05:32 AM
Our local cable company uses a tri shield. They are ok if I use quad as a substitute for Road Runner installs. Quad is more readily available for those of us not connected to the cable company.
Posted By: dereckbc Re: What Cable Should I Use? - 01/16/07 04:42 AM
Bob, I am probable too late to jump in here, but how far in the future are yo looking into?. May companies offer combonation packs of CAT, coax and optic in a common sheth,
Posted By: BuildingHomes Re: What Cable Should I Use? - 01/16/07 08:34 PM
Here's a great article on Quad-shield cabling from AudioHolics.
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/quadshieldcables.php

Quad shield has some uses, but definately not for all uses.

You should be fine with regular combination of foil/braid shield for running CATV.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: What Cable Should I Use? - 01/22/07 09:04 AM
I recall reading somewhere that aluminum-braid coax is a relatively recent invention, having come out in the 1970s (not 100% sure). Apparently this is because the technology to make a braid out of aluminum did not exist until then. I believe this type of cable was known as Aluminax at one point.
Is that why cheap Hex type crimps use Aluminium?.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: What Cable Should I Use? - 01/22/07 09:06 AM
Tinned Copper has been used for years.
For fuses and allsorts of other things.
Posted By: brianl703 Re: What Cable Should I Use? - 01/24/07 04:30 AM
I don't know. The cheap hex crimps I've seen are all made of chrome plated zinc (I think). Definitely not aluminum.
© ECN Electrical Forums