ECN Forum
Posted By: highground satellite internet - 08/02/06 02:14 AM
I am wiring a house where the owners wish to have satellite internet and distribute throughout the home. This is a new one to me.
Any help?
Two coax from dish to com cabinet.
Two coax from com cabinet to computer/modem/router location
And then distribute from router via cat 5

Am I on the right track?
Thanks
Posted By: trobb Re: satellite internet - 08/02/06 04:09 AM
Just a heads-up. Cat5e is the current standard and costs the same as Cat5, but with better design will often get more reliable transmission. Beyond that I know little specific to satellite internet (not really covered in CCNA).
Posted By: hbiss Re: satellite internet - 08/02/06 01:58 PM
I believe sat internet uses CAT5 (or whatever the latest iteration is) to the electronics on the dish. I would check with the installer before assuming anything. That's who to ask.

-Hal
Posted By: golf junkie Re: satellite internet - 09/03/06 08:04 PM
The systems that we have locally use a special co-ax from the dish to the modem. Not sure what it is but it is definitely not RG-6 or RG-59.

The modem can be internal or external to the PC. Internals are PCI and the coax connects direct to the PCI card. Externals are stand alone boxes, the box connects to the PC or LAN switch with a Cat 5 patch cord.

I wouldn't even consider wiring anything until the satelite provider came up with some specs.
Posted By: A-V Pro Re: satellite internet - 09/04/06 01:42 AM
The type of coax most commenly used for satellite internet systems is Quad Shield RG-6. The coax (2 runs) is run between the dish and the modem. The modem is then connected to a computer or computers using an ethernet(cat 5) cable. Most newer modems have built in support for multiple computer use. Some even have a small hub installed in the modem. Hope this helps shed some light...
© ECN Electrical Forums