ECN Forum
Posted By: GalwayElectric Coaxial Surge Arrestor(s) - 02/26/06 04:51 PM
I was in BestBuy the other day buying a TV. THe clerk at the store was rather persistant (pushy)on buying their combination power surge/coaxial surge supressors. So my questions are:
Is this the best way to go for protection?
Are coaxial surge supressors necessary at all?
The clerk said "In case Lightning hits your home". I know this happens but really, if lighting hits your home your tv might be the least of your problems. I could see it doing damage to your electrical systems but what's the chances of lighting going on your cable line? Especially if your cable's properly grounded?

Thanks all.
Thanks guys.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Coaxial Surge Arrestor(s) - 02/26/06 05:27 PM
These things are not for "lightning hitting your home". It is mostly for lightning hitting somewhere near by.
The best lightning or surge protection is a layered plan. You start with a good grounding electrode system, connected to a panel protector and the protrectors in the Dmark of your utilities (phone and cable). Then you back this up with the point of use protection to deal with transients induced into your wiring beyond the entry points. Between the two you end up with a fairly robust protection scheme. Bear in mind, most times the damage is caused by the differences between the cable/phone and power line, with that difference being reconciled through your equipment. That is why it is important that any protection provides a path to clamp these differences before they get to the equipment
Posted By: pauluk Re: Coaxial Surge Arrestor(s) - 02/28/06 11:02 AM
I think they sometimes overstate the protection that arresters will provide. If you actually get a direct strike on your antenna or incoming power/TV lines, assume that the TV is going to be toast anyway.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Coaxial Surge Arrestor(s) - 03/01/06 07:34 PM
The real function of a lightning arrestor on an antenna is to prevent the spike by grounding it out before it happens.
When they do, a real arrestor will save the system or you would see TV and radio stations getting blown up every day around here in the summer.
The average consumer product is not as good as the one the radio station has tho.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Coaxial Surge Arrestor(s) - 03/03/06 02:21 PM
I agree Greg.
I have a series of Coaxial Lightning Arrestors protecting my Ham gear here.
Now I went for the best and I wouldn't expect the average Home-owner to spend like I did, but the average Home-owner hasn't got $11,000 worth of gear to lose.
Same side of the coin, all my stuff is 50 ohm, not 75 ohm like most TV sets.
Biggest thing is make sure they're Grounded properly!!.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 03-03-2006).]
© ECN Electrical Forums