ECN Forum
Posted By: Haligan Stripping 24ga wire - 03/02/05 07:28 PM
I have the little Klein telcomm scissors. They have the two notches along the spine of the blade. The notches look just the right size for 24ga wire and maybe 22ga. Problem is that when I try to use them, all I get are little colored shavings.

Is it my technique or is there a better tool for this?
Posted By: hbiss Re: Stripping 24ga wire - 03/02/05 08:26 PM
I have never found those stripping notches to be of any use.

You don't need strippers for this anyway. Just grab the end of the wire with your needlenose pliers and the insulation will come right off. Make believe the pliers are a stripper and pull.

This is actually the recommended method since there is no chance that you will nick the copper. Incidentally, when you wrap the wire around a screw or binding post it is important not to wrap more than 360 deg. In other words, the wire should never cross over upon itself. Reason for this is when you tighten the screw or nut on a wire that crosses over itself a notch will be created where they cross. This will cause the wire to be weakened and will break off with only slight movement.

-Hal
Posted By: Haligan Re: Stripping 24ga wire - 03/03/05 05:23 AM
SO EASY!

Thanks.

Good point about the multiple wraps.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Stripping 24ga wire - 03/03/05 06:57 PM
If you watch a phone guy you will see them strip this wire in the "V" of partially opened blades of the shears. You don't jam it in, just let it grab the insulation and pull. There is a bit of a "touch" in doing this.
Posted By: mkoloj Re: Stripping 24ga wire - 03/03/05 07:34 PM
I have always used the notches on the scissors and had them work perfectly fine without any broken conductors due to nicking the copper, I have seen people trying to use the notched and doing nothing but cutting the wire shorter and shorter so I guess it is definitely something that you have to get a feel for. I lay the conductor in the corresponding notch either 22 or 24 ga like Haligan said and put my finger on the other side of the conductor and pull, you have tyo have the flat side of the scissors pointing towards the direction you are applying pressure to strip the wire.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Stripping 24ga wire - 03/03/05 09:37 PM
Actually I think the notches in some scissors are better than others. I have seen some that are so heavily plated that I never even bothered to try them.

I like needlenose the best. You have them out and in your hand anyway to wrap the wire.

-Hal
Posted By: pauluk Re: Stripping 24ga wire - 03/04/05 09:31 PM
I've often used the partially opened blade trick as well, although it's probably a good idea to practice on scrap first if you're not used to the technique!

I have a pair of scissors with the notches as well, although I've only ever tried using them a time or two and always reverted to my usual methods (blades or strippers).

Using less than a 360-degree wrap was always recommended on the type of screw terminals we had on the old GPO telephone blocks here. It would insure a good secure connection without the risk of cutting through the conductor.
Posted By: Sandro Re: Stripping 24ga wire - 03/10/05 09:28 PM
I tried the needlenose method. Maybe I need more practice. Results weren't satisfactory. I will stick to my regular method....side-cutters used as strippers(I think some of you guys call them 'dikes'). After some practice, it is rare occasion the copper gets nicked.
Posted By: dryden_burton Re: Stripping 24ga wire - 03/12/05 04:18 PM
I use my teeth works perfect for all small wires
Posted By: mkoloj Re: Stripping 24ga wire - 03/12/05 04:37 PM
I hope you have good dental insurance there dryden_burton.

[This message has been edited by mkoloj (edited 03-12-2005).]
Posted By: hbiss Re: Stripping 24ga wire - 03/12/05 08:18 PM
I tried the needlenose method. Maybe I need more practice...

Geeze I don't know what could be so hard. Grab the end of the wire where you want the strip to begin with your needle nose 90 deg to the wire and kind of slide it off. If you are right handed you would hold the wire with your left hand and move your pliers to the right. I suppose if you try to do it head on and pull it isn't going to work too well. I can actually do two wires at a time with this method.

-Hal
Posted By: dstanford Re: Stripping 24ga wire - 03/28/05 09:34 PM
We had an employee chip a tooth using her teeth. well our workers comp had to pay for her stupidity
I have found if you have any kind of fingernails at all work really good
plus they cant nick the wire
Posted By: sponge Re: Stripping 24ga wire - 04/01/05 02:02 PM
After years of running low volt wire, I have found the best strippers available for stranded wire. (From SnapOn of course, model #PWC5) Self-adjusting stripper strips 26 to 14AWG wire. Jaws are stainless steel and induction hardened. I've been using these for months now and have not nicked a single strand yet. Here is a link to SnapOn for it. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...6&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

[This message has been edited by sponge (edited 04-01-2005).]
© ECN Electrical Forums