ECN Forum
Is it legal to rewire/replace knob and tube wiring for 1000sf. home just fishing and not opening bays? customer wants to have done. I said about 250/opening and probably have to open for blocking.
Is it legal in oakland calif. to to extensive rewire without opening up?
"Fishing" in wiring should be acceptable, unless there is a local amendment prohibiting it.

I'm gonna say it's not allowed since none of the wiring would be secured for the vast majority of length of its run...but the AHJ will have the final say on it.
It's worth giving City Hall a call and finding out before you give out a price that won't cover your work.
It would have to be a local amendment. The NEC clearly allows fishing the chapter 3 cables in old work.

334.30(B) Unsupported Cables. Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be permitted to be unsupported where the cable:
(1) Is fished between access points through concealed spaces in finished buildings or structures and supporting is impracticable.
Greg:
Thanks for the NEC reference!!!
I've been busy & time is short.
I've done this and never had a complaint in Southern Cali from the AHJ's here
I myself as an AHJ, think that the safety of using newer, higher temp cable (with a ground wire) would be much safer than leaving an old K&T system.
© ECN Electrical Forums