ECN Forum
Posted By: Russell BRITISH ELECTRICIAN SEEKS U.S EMPLOYER - 05/19/08 08:34 AM
Hi people,
I thought this forum looked like a good place to start as to how i would find a possible H1-VISA sponsor to relocate to the United States ? ? ?

I am a fully qualified electrician, and any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks.

Russ.
Posted By: copper Re: BRITISH ELECTRICIAN SEEKS U.S EMPLOYER - 05/19/08 09:49 AM
No Clue.

www.mcdean.com they are a big big company out of well everywhere. Most likely you could work in the DC area. not sure how else to help you. best of luck.

You could dip down to Mexico and take the scenic route smile Can you swim?

Ken
I know, the lines are long, and the staff more than a bit obnoxious ... but the US Embassy is THE place to get the necessary information.

As for finding a sponsor ... if you belong to a trade organisation (union), check with them. They most likely have some sort of arrangement with their US counterpart.

Otherwise, I'd suggest a less direct route. Canada is a lot more receptive to Brits (when it comes to work), and would be a good place to get acquainted with our unique methods.
Originally Posted by Russell
Hi people,
I thought this forum looked like a good place to start as to how i would find a possible H1-VISA sponsor to relocate to the United States ? ? ?

I am a fully qualified electrician, and any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

First, the US is a BIG place. If you have preferences for one area over another (for whatever reason) you need to focus your search for a sponsor there. Wage rates and work conditions vary greatly. Asking here, and other forums as well wouldn't hurt, but choosing a town (or three) is important.

Second, the responsibility to an employer in sponsoring you and any complications that might result from a bad 'fit' with them (for whatever reason) will make most employers leery of extending themselves to someone they don't know from Adam unless you have some very specialized skill they truly aren't able to secure locally.

Third, the more decent of these potential employers will be leery of inviting anyone to uproot themselves (and family?) on the basis of an intention to work and again without ANY local experience or ties to that locale both technically and personally.

Fourth, most areas of the US at present are slow (not all) but even the busier areas aren't hiring all that many new people even without all the extra stuff related to a desire like yours.

Fifth, on the technical aspect alone you will have difficulty getting ANY credit for the experience and certifications you have and would in essence become a time serving apprentice all over again (union or merit shop).

All that said it isn't an impossible goal but there are several hurdles and realities to accept even after bridging those hurdles.

As another poster mentioned you would probably find all of these issues MUCH easier to manage if you were to look into work in a UK oriented country. I've seen many requests for AU and NZ in particular.

Good luck.
© ECN Electrical Forums