ECN Forum
Posted By: Navyguy Electrical Work In NJ - 12/20/07 03:34 AM
Hello All

I am interested in getting information on completing electrical work in NJ.

I am a Master Electrician in Ontario Canada, my family lives in NJ and of course I get the call, "when you are down for Xmas, bring presents and your tools".

I have a couple of questions:

1. What are the inspection requirements and process for NJ?

2. Are homeowners allowed to complete electrical work to their own home or does it need to be done by an electrical contractor?

I may have a few additional questions depending on the answers I get.

Cheers

Navyguy
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Electrical Work In NJ - 12/20/07 04:01 AM
Never brings your tools on vacation especially to family. smile
Posted By: Navyguy Re: Electrical Work In NJ - 12/23/07 05:55 AM
That is for sure...but what can you do...it's family. At least I get a meal or two!!!

Cheers
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Electrical Work In NJ - 12/23/07 05:48 PM
From what I have gathered here and in other forum posts, in New Jersey I think you need a licence just to call an electrician on the phone.......
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Electrical Work In NJ - 12/23/07 06:01 PM
I can not speak for NJ, typically though there are exemptions in ordinances for property you or immediate family own. Then again there are areas where they mandate an electrician is requried even if it is the house live in. Many local ordinances are located online now and usually have the most current revisions. You can also call their offices.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Electrical Work In NJ - 12/23/07 07:46 PM
Navyguy:
NJ Law, per UCC 5:23.....

NO, you do not need a license to call an electrician by phone!

Single family home; electrical and plumbing work can be done by 'homeowner' as long as he/she resides within the dwelling.

'Family' residing within said dwelling may do work also.

Permit & inspection required except fr repairs; replace existing devices/fixtures, replace recept with GFI, etc.

Posted By: Navyguy Re: Electrical Work In NJ - 12/27/07 06:17 AM
Thanks for the info. I will be on my way soon, just want it all to be in order when I get there. Since we are going to be doing a repair of the outside receptacles, there should not be any issues...at least until I get there and start nosing around.

Cheers & Happy Holidays!!!
© ECN Electrical Forums