ECN Forum
Posted By: u2slow cargo van or step van? - 04/13/07 11:26 PM
I have a chance to get into a '97 E250 cargo van with a fresh rebuilt V6, or a '90 E450 step van with diesel & 5-speed. Either one is about $4k. Which would you choose?

I'm using an 80's Suburban right now, but its not working out so well for space and access. I used to despise the vans since I work on my own vehicles, but its looks like I don't have much choice anymore.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: cargo van or step van? - 04/14/07 02:13 AM
What kind of work do you mostly do? For residential service work, the step van is probably the better choice. For other types of work, parking and low branches in driveways is the issue. For downtown hi-rise work, pickup trucks rule.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: cargo van or step van? - 04/14/07 02:49 PM
Vehicle height is a real concern .... my truck is just a bit too tall, so I have some places I can't go. Not to mention needing a ladder to ... get to may ladders!

Parking, and turning radius is an issue as well. I swear car lots are sized for Yugos.

Width ... I went 'full size' after years of driving mini-trucks, and have the body damage to prove it!

You'll need at least a 3/4 ton truck, if you want to to a scissors lift.

Visibility, especially when backing or changing lanes, are major concerns.

Now, if I could get one of those little postal mini-box trucks..... laugh
Posted By: Tiger Re: cargo van or step van? - 04/14/07 03:22 PM
I've used a pickup for 15 years & I'm ready for a van. The added space will be a real plus. What I've enjoyed about the pickup is that I can get at most of my tools standing up...without climbing in. If I could get at my tools & materials in a step van walking & standing...instead of bending & crawling, I'd be all for the step van. Good space for a billboard too if you're in residential service.

Dave
Posted By: e57 Re: cargo van or step van? - 04/15/07 02:12 AM
Are you a tall man? Yes, a step van offers an advantage of being able to stand in it. Something it sounds like your Suburban is giving you a back ache about.

Are you in in urban, or hilly environment? The one with the automatic is for you. Once lost a clutch in rush hour with jerks pulled up 2" off my bumper on a steep hill - had to get the cops to re-route traffic to back me off the hill to get towed.

Do you have a big rainy/snow season? Both are good for you. In a pick-up everything is soaked.

Only residential? A diesel wakes up the neighbors in the morning.

You work on it yourself? The step van has better enginge access. Most you can sit in the drivers seat and work on it, but not much to do to a diesel until it really breaks...

Parking ain't great with either if you only park in garages. But in high-rise I often get loading dock parking off to the side or nearby street parking, any garage with space available is blocks away anyway.

Roof top ladders? They make swing-down ladder racks for taller trucks.

I drive a Savanna, but next one just might be a 10' box conversion Cut-Away, or a Step Van. Maybe a Sprinter...

Posted By: u2slow Re: cargo van or step van? - 04/16/07 04:08 PM
This is all great info! Thanks guys!

My work varies a lot. I do commercial/light-industrial, farm, and some residential (usually limited to service upgrades and shops/garages). Downtown stresses me out regardless of what I drive, so I tend to avoid that work altogether.

I thought the step van may prove too cumbersome due to its size, but it seems some of you embrace that for the headroom and and cargo space it affords. (I'm 6'4" tall btw wink ) Having at least 10' of load floor - for conduit, unistrut, etc. - is very necessary feature.

I forgot about towing. I could use my personal vehicle to deliver a scissor-lift if/when I get one. Still, a valid point that makes V6 power less desirable.

I really can't stand automatic transmissions, but if a basic cargo van was 'ideal', I would manage to put up with it.

Changing the subject a little here... how does a dually van (step or cube) compare to a single-wheel version? Is the additional load capacity worth the width penalty?
Posted By: u2slow Re: cargo van or step van? - 04/24/07 11:31 PM
I made buying a work vehicle my job for a few days. By Friday I had made my decision, finished the paperwork, and was driving it home.

Its a '97 E350 diesel. smile
[Linked Image from u2slow.gotdns.org]

Anyone have a favourite type of lock to put on the doors? I'e seen puck-locks used, but also a different one that looks like a burly hinge that's open flat. (Know what I'm talking about? crazy)
Posted By: dougwells Re: cargo van or step van? - 04/25/07 03:38 AM
with my luck if I found something like that it would be school bus yellow laugh anyhow nice van I like it
Posted By: renosteinke Re: cargo van or step van? - 04/25/07 03:47 AM
We might joke about the "short bus," but I'm beginning to like the idea.

First, you have windows, which will help you in traffic.
You have room to stand, and move about.
That flat front part of the 'box' is a natural place for your company logo ... or even temp site lighting.

The downside? You still need to add ladder / pipe racks ... and it's tall enough that you'll need a ladder to reach them. Low clearance buildings might also be an issue.

Still ... it's got me thinking!
Posted By: e57 Re: cargo van or step van? - 04/25/07 07:15 AM
You could probhably get all but an extention or 12'A-frame ladder inside it if you got creative. Security would be my big problem - the fewer windows the better in my mind, and that big bus door would get all but welded shut. Can't you just tug on it and it opens?
Posted By: u2slow Re: cargo van or step van? - 04/25/07 03:33 PM
I have 11'+ behind the driver's bulkhead. 14'+ at ceiling height.

e57, I agree... I'm more concerned with security than visibility. I'm going to see what it takes to panel off the side windows and glass in the folding door. That should leave some nice room for advertising, and to hang an ext. ladder. The folding door sure is nice for casual tool access. I hope I can make it secure enough to keep.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: cargo van or step van? - 04/25/07 05:50 PM
I worked for a residential service company that did just about anything for years. They bought me a box-van (?) that was absolutely awesome. You know, it looks like the front of a van with a box body attached? Anyway, at first I was resistant to it because of many of the reasons that have been stated here. That changed VERY quickly once I got it.

My concern was ladders. They got me a three-section extension ladder that was only 11 feet long when stored. We put hooks on the inside right wall (all lined with nice plywood) and hung it there. Other ladders were hung below. Nice, easy to get to and protected from the sun/weather.

Since we were into just about everything, we needed LOTS of parts. We also did a lot of attic fans. The driver's side was lined with nice DEEP shelving, just like you would use indoors. It was about two feet deep and ran the entire length of the truck. I swear that I had just about anything on that truck, including two attic fans and an electric water heater with room to spare.

Pipe, ground rods and fluorescent tubes were stored in a rack suspended from the ceiling. With all of that inventory, there was still room to carry several varieties of light fixtures for property management jobs.

If I kept it neat, I even had a folding table that I could set up if I needed to take something apart or assemble, like a chandelier or celing fan. I just used a cheap folding card table and folding chair. It was so much easier (and pleasant) than doing work under the watchful eye of the customer.

I also outfitted it with a 1,500 watt power inverter so that I would have AC power if needed. I installed four keyless lampholders and 3-way switches for them. My boss got me some 12 volt "A" type lamps to fit in them.

Gas mileage and parking was definitely a problem. It was a great experiment, and probably could have worked out but finances resulted in the truck being sold.
Posted By: u2slow Re: cargo van or step van? - 04/26/07 12:42 AM
I also checked the city bylaws before I bought. 4500kg GVW is the max for a residential area where I live. Any higher and it must be kept in an enclosed building.

This van is at 4354kg GVWR. grin
Posted By: e57 Re: cargo van or step van? - 04/26/07 08:17 AM
Just had a cool idea... Take the rear side windows out, and have some hatches made for each window opening with shelf access to the inside. Back windows too if it has them. Then search the junk yard for all the power door lock actuators you can get, and set them up to pin each hatch shut - maybe top and bottom of that big door too. (maybe build something like Cargolock? )

Only obstical is (well money) and a dozen power lock slamming shut at the same time. Sure it would be intimidating to hear the all slam home at once, but a big draw. If you ran them from an alarm you would need a beefy relay to do that many at once.
© ECN Electrical Forums