ECN Forum
Posted By: Dnkldorf Vista and Quick Books - 01/29/07 10:46 PM
Anyone heard the "rumor" that if you go with Vista, you have to upgrade to QB 2007.

Some sort of compatibility issue..
Posted By: bot540 Re: Vista and Quick Books - 01/30/07 01:05 AM
I heard Vista is having alot of problems
Posted By: A-V Pro Re: Vista and Quick Books - 01/30/07 02:13 AM
Dnkldorf,

It is NOT a rumor. Here is an e-mail from them that I have received.

Dear ....,
You may have heard about the upcoming release of Microsoft's new operating system, Windows Vista. Microsoft has made significant changes to how software runs on Windows Vista.

I'm sending you this important service alert because you are using a 2006 or earlier version of QuickBooks software.

Since QuickBooks 2006 and earlier versions were developed
and released before the introduction of Windows Vista,
these versions may be adversely affected when used on
a computer running Windows Vista.

This will impact Simple Start, Basic, Pro, Premier, Payroll and Point of Sale, as well as other QuickBooks products and services. We recognize that your QuickBooks software is an important business tool and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO TO STAY UP AND RUNNING ON QUICKBOOKS

• If you do NOT upgrade to Windows Vista

No action is required. If you plan to stay with your existing Windows operating system (for example, Windows XP or Windows 2000), you can continue to use your current QuickBooks products.

• If you choose to upgrade to Windows Vista

We recommend that you use QuickBooks 2007 (and Point of Sale v6.0, if applicable). QuickBooks 2007 is the only version of the software built to run on the new Windows Vista operating system.

To learn more about your options for running QuickBooks products
on Windows Vista, please visit www.quickbooks.com/support/vista.
You'll find detailed instructions on how to use QuickBooks while
you consider the transition to Windows Vista.

Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you would like to send us feedback on QuickBooks and Windows Vista, please visit our Windows Vista Resource Center at www.quickbooks.com/support/vista.

Thank you for making QuickBooks a part of your business.

Sincerely,

Brad Smith
Senior Vice President, QuickBooks

Please print and save for your records.

Hope this helps!
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Vista and Quick Books - 01/30/07 02:32 AM
I wonder how many other programs won't work?

Upgrading may end up being real expensive, and time consuming.
Posted By: LK Re: Vista and Quick Books - 01/30/07 05:04 AM
Dnk,

I don't see a problem, we have a budget for things like this, one the good things about working flat rate, we know our costs of running a business, and are prepared for change.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Vista and Quick Books - 01/30/07 03:23 PM
Flat rate or not, Vista looks like another weak attempt to copy cat Apple again. Shoulda got a Mac....
Posted By: dougwells Re: Vista and Quick Books - 01/30/07 06:55 PM
Here is a compatibility test for upgrading from XP to vista http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...863-A389-3FFC194924F8&displaylang=en
Posted By: LK Re: Vista and Quick Books - 01/30/07 07:04 PM
The change was a long time comming, the new software will have less bulk, and work better with SQL and MXL, I sure hope they offer present users a deal for upgrading, Dnk, just busting, to see if your awake, our flar software will also be a big concern, thanks for the heads up.

They spent a fortune with their wall climbing ad, to introduce the vista, a group of guys hanging off ropes, flying around a wall, i guess this means if you buy the new vista, you will need a safety line!

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 01-30-2007).]
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Vista and Quick Books - 01/31/07 12:34 AM
That's why I like you Les. You got a sense of humor....

I think we might go the mac route soon, as I hate MS and all the problems it has.
Posted By: LK Re: Vista and Quick Books - 01/31/07 02:33 AM
On the news tonight, they were saying, to use the new vista you may need a new computer, i guess that leaves a lot of us out of the parade.
Posted By: sparky 134 Re: Vista and Quick Books - 02/01/07 05:01 PM
I use QB 2004 Contractor. I received an email from QB saying my version of QB will no longer support the Do It Yourself Payroll program.

QB 'RECOMMENDS' upgrading to the 2007 version for around $350.00 dollars. When asked why they will not support the 2004 version they responded, "We constantly make improvements to our software. Sometimes we 'need' to 'remove' certain components."

BS in my opinion. It's all about getting their customers to consistently purchase new products.

Anyway, with regards to the Vista OS, I have heard you can only install the software twice on a computer (in case your computer dies and you need to reinstall the OS). After that, you need to purchase a new Vista CD. Now that is highway robbery.....
Posted By: Tiger Re: Vista and Quick Books - 02/02/07 01:23 AM
Macs are starting to look very good.

Dave
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Vista and Quick Books - 02/02/07 02:16 AM
Macs rule.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Vista and Quick Books - 02/02/07 04:46 AM
Of course "mac" mikeman is going to affirm that statement, but everybody already knows my thoughts on that. I got the latest dual core 2 I book, a couple of I-macs for my office stuff, an old G3 beige and my original Classic II with the black and white screen, 40 meg hard drive, and 4 meg Ram. It still all works great. They definately make the most hassle free hardware. (I pods not included). Hey, lets get back on track. Isn't that new Vista great? How is it working with Quickbooks Contractor?

[This message has been edited by macmikeman (edited 02-02-2007).]
Posted By: Tesla Re: Vista and Quick Books - 02/12/07 02:43 AM
I'm running Vista right now.

As with XP you are permitted to run older code even if Vista has to emulate XP.
Posted By: 1000BaseT Re: Vista and Quick Books - 03/23/07 01:23 AM
I just bought a $500 laptop from Walmart, just needed something for the truck. It came with Vista and runs fine. I installed Quickbooks 2005 Pro contractors edition on it and it seems to run fine...
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: Vista and Quick Books - 03/26/07 03:07 PM
1000baseT,

Are you going to print from the truck too?

I'm looking for a bluetooth mini printer for the truck. Not looking to invoice, but I guess I could. I'm really looking to print off task lists and give them to people or bring a list into the store with me instead of lugging the tablet. Could even be like a large receipt printer. Anyone using that kind of equipment? I'm going to do a search here. I seem to remember Romex racer bragging on his set-up. I'll see if I can find that old thread. Then I'll jump back into the black hole called the internet and sift through.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Vista and Quick Books - 03/27/07 04:04 PM
I carry a printer around with me in my vehicle. Cannon Pixma IP-90. Works excellent. Big Plano box fits between the seats of my Chevy Express Van. Printer and laptop goes in there with printer paper when not in use.
Posted By: A-Line Re: Vista and Quick Books - 03/27/07 09:54 PM
This is my laptop and printer setup.
I use it for proposals, invoices, etc.
I tried to edit or delete my previous post but couldn't figure out how to do it.
[Linked Image from i95.photobucket.com]
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: Vista and Quick Books - 03/27/07 10:46 PM
Very nice Aline. Thanks for the photo. What is Lexan? (nevermind, googled. why lexan?)

My dad is a network guy and he says he's seen problems with nonrugged portables if you move or vibrate too much with the hard disk on. I want to leave my new tablet on in a non-hybernate mode so I can have immediaate acccess when I want it, but I'm concerned with the hard drive getting knocked around at 5200 RPM. I'm going to build a padded campartment in the front of my truck.

I ordered this http://cgi.ebay.com/SIPIX-POCKET-A6...6924QQcategoryZ31577QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheap and it's IR. obviously won't work for proposals, but will work to fire off a task list or parts list.
Posted By: dougwells Re: Vista and Quick Books - 03/28/07 05:47 AM
Originally Posted by A-Line
This is my laptop and printer setup.
I use it for proposals, invoices, etc.
I tried to edit or delete my previous post but couldn't figure out how to do it.

Done
Posted By: hbiss Re: Vista and Quick Books - 03/31/07 05:26 PM
You don't want Vista on anything. It's built completely around Digital Rights Management (DRM) and that's why nothing old will run under it. DRM is a total sellout by Microsoft to the movie industry and is a big invasion of our privacy.

See the story here: http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit042.html

-Hal
Posted By: Tiger Re: Vista and Quick Books - 03/31/07 11:39 PM
I've found computer happiness by having a PC with basic business and no internet connection (and no security software). It's a stand-alone and runs great.

Dave
Posted By: Tesla Re: Vista and Quick Books - 04/08/07 12:56 AM
I'm evolving towards multiple platforms that don't network to each other.

Microsoft's code and DRM philosophy guarantee that any linking will spread infections.

I use one -- assumed to be fully compromised machine -- for the internet. No real business is done on it.

I have another that stands isolated at the office with the company accounts and private business matters. It is never connected to anything. I never upgrade it with Microsoft anythings.

I am getting a third platform to handle purely on site matters: extras, purchase orders, contracts. It will not be configured to handle any Hollywood output. I'll likely pull the CD-ROM drive and cripple its ability to get on the internet. A beat up older machine is where I'm headed.

Putting all of your systems on one machine is now too risky.

Certainly, the industry has made purchase so cheap that multiple machines are affordable.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Vista and Quick Books - 04/08/07 05:29 AM
You can just buy one machine and run multiple operating systems on it. And you can isolate one or both from the internet if you so desire, and both are isolated from each other, to the extent that you must boot up from scratch to run either system. That would be using an Apple with the Intel chip set, and having Boot Camp installed onto it. Boot Camp allows starting up in either a windows enviroment or starting up in the mac os enviroment. There is no cross over, as you would get using Parallels or some other type of emulator. Boot camp is a full startup into either system, with no emulation at all, so full speed in either system is achieved. No chance of any spread of infection or peeking into what is on each system from the other one.
Posted By: Tom H Re: Vista and Quick Books - 04/16/07 10:22 PM
For me Vista is in the far off future. My business is based on several programs that have already warned me that they are not vista compatible, Lutron programming software, proposal/business management software, light show programming software, I'm sure the list goes on. And for those of you who are running vista and emulating XP, don't tell the tech support staff when you call or they will tell you that the OS is not supported.

And as for DRM, don't get me started. It'll be years before the consumer benefits from DRM, while the industry rakes it in. Did you know it is against the law for a place of business to use a TV greater than 55” to display protected content? [Protected content is licensed content, ie “The Big Game” the game where you will find a super bowl to play in…] And they can be fined for having more than the allowed by law speaker count? [max speakers…4!] Do any of you play music on hold for your calling customers; hope you’re paying your licensing and royalties…

There was a coffee shop in downtown New Haven that was fined for having live music and had to pay ASCAP, they appealed because all the bands that played there were local all original acts…I’m gonna stop now but you get my point.
© ECN Electrical Forums