ECN Forum
Posted By: Tiger The Real Estate Transaction - 06/08/06 05:41 PM
After many years of running around for realtors, buyers or sellers giving free estimates, I quit. In all honesty, they don't want me to do the job, they want a number for negotiations.

In tracking these I came to realize that I'm not averaging minimum wage. I think I'll let the competition do it for a couple decades.

Am I getting burned out, or just burned?

Dave
Posted By: Celtic Re: The Real Estate Transaction - 06/08/06 09:08 PM
Does it matter if you're burnt out or just burnt?

IMHO, you came to your senses.

As bizarre as this sounds - I just had this same talk with another EC friend of mine...freebie estimates.

After about 1 minute of my talking, he agreed - the free ride is over...gas and time DO cost.

Now if I could just convince him that working
40 hrs for $65 is not as profitable as working 30 hours for $85...
Posted By: LK Re: The Real Estate Transaction - 06/08/06 10:18 PM
When they call, we let them know there is a service charge, for any professional estimate, about 20% of the callers hang up, but the larger percent are willing to pay, after all, there home inspector charges, and so does every other business.
Posted By: LearJet9 Re: The Real Estate Transaction - 06/10/06 03:30 PM
We stopped offering free quotes nearly 15 years ago. Not to say we never offered a free quote, but it's not our SOP. When customers request a "free" quote we refer them to the discount guys.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: The Real Estate Transaction - 06/10/06 03:47 PM
Fact is, I'm tired of wasting my time with folks who have no intention of ever getting something done, and just want to play games.

It's one thing when a homeowner want an idea of how much it will cost to run power to the hot-tub he's planning to get; it's something completely different when Joe Realtor just wants to dicker over the price!
Realtors, and everyone else involved in the transaction, are famous for never getting a single thing done. These days, everyone thinks they're Donald Trump!
Posted By: briselec Re: The Real Estate Transaction - 06/10/06 11:35 PM
If you know most of the work you are giving estimates for is not actually being done than you are certainly justified in charging for your time and expenses.
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: The Real Estate Transaction - 06/12/06 01:29 AM
For Home Inspections we quit giving written estimates, free or charge. The only thing we will do is let them fax a list and give them a verbal guestimate. I got tired of having the same real estate agents call for estimates and never do the work. Some get quite mad and swear they are going do the work, but they NEVER do.

[This message has been edited by Electric Eagle (edited 06-11-2006).]
Posted By: sparkync Re: The Real Estate Transaction - 07/04/06 01:08 AM
Had a job just like you're speaking of a while back. Realtor called me, wanted me to look at a house on the lake, and tell them what it would take to bring it up to code. The wiring in the whole house and out buildings were "butchered" by the obvious "do it yourselfer". I spent probably 4 hours or more making notes to correct the "horrendous" mess that it was in. It should have been a luxury home, but was turned into a nightmare. Gave the estimated price. Never heard from them again. Wasted time. I've learned better now.

[This message has been edited by sparkync (edited 07-03-2006).]
© ECN Electrical Forums