ECN Forum
Posted By: Tiger Favorite Books or Authors - 01/22/06 02:40 AM
I attended a seminar with succesful people in business and they all were good readers.

I'm curious if anyone here reads a lot and what your favorite business books or authors are.

Dave
Posted By: Radar Re: Favorite Books or Authors - 01/24/06 04:08 AM
I ride the train to work, which is about a 35 minute ride each way, and although I have a bunch of train friends who are as big a blabber mouths as me, I get some reading done too. I like special ops, espionage & cop (FBI/CIA) kinda stuff. Guess my favotite is The Cardinal In The kremlin, by Tom Clancy.

Radar
Posted By: bigventure Re: Favorite Books or Authors - 01/24/06 12:57 PM
Although Tom Clancy is a fine writer and I read all his books, for the real life inner workings of the CIA and covert operations read George Crile's book Charlie Wilson's War.It is a facinating look inside the real life workings our CIA from years gone by against the Soviets.
Posted By: Radar Re: Favorite Books or Authors - 01/24/06 03:01 PM
Along that line, might I suggest Blind Mans Bluff. Real world politics and high level quibbling between the CIA and the Navy Dept, unbelievable submarine special ops. I'm a Cold War era sub sailor, and we had no idea about some of the nutty stuff other boats were up to.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Favorite Books or Authors - 01/24/06 03:43 PM
You did ask for "business" books, didn't you?

Probably my favourite is "My Life In advertising / Scientific Advertising" by Claude Hopkins. Writen by on of the pioneers of modern advertising, he explains how to identify effective methods of advertising and marketing.

Business lessons are also discussed, in a much more interesting manner, in several books written by professional "Ladies of the Evening," These works include:
"The Mayflower Madam"; and,
"Working" by Dolores French
Posted By: Tiger Re: Favorite Books or Authors - 01/24/06 08:59 PM
I was looking for business books, but no complaints here.

Dave
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Favorite Books or Authors - 01/25/06 08:37 AM
Try Scott Adams' "Dilbert", the antidote to BusinessManagementSpeak.

Alan
Posted By: electricbill Re: Favorite Books or Authors - 01/29/06 05:33 PM
E-Myth for Contractors by Mike Gerber. Small book,with LOTS of bussiness insight...
bill
Posted By: Zog Re: Favorite Books or Authors - 02/09/06 12:21 PM
"Electrical power equipment maintenance and testing" - Paul Gill
Posted By: Tiger Re: Favorite Books or Authors - 02/26/06 11:24 PM
The E Myth Contractor is a good one. Thanks electricbill. I've also been reading some Dale Carnegie books.

Dave
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Favorite Books or Authors - 02/27/06 12:34 AM
Tom Peters -NO connection to the ESI guy- came to notice with his book "In Search of Excellence." Several other books, each the size of a phone book, followed- each elaborating and expanding upon points raised in the first.

Don't buy them- get them at the library. Even then, you need only read the first chapter, the "overview," to get the lessons he's documented in the rest of the book.

While absolutely lacking in specific "how to," they do give great insights into how successful companies operate.

David Halberstam wrote :The Reconing", about the battle between Toyota and Ford. This book also gives some insights into the pitfalls to avoid.
Posted By: dougwells Re: Favorite Books or Authors - 11/16/06 07:32 PM
E-Myth for Contractors by Mike Gerber. Small book,with LOTS of bussiness insight...

I am about 3/4 the way though this book my self been busy with new service software and I hope to read it again soon also.

I will pass it on to my girl friend so she has an idea about the family issues mentioned in the book.

[This message has been edited by dougwells (edited 11-16-2006).]
Posted By: Tiger Re: Favorite Books or Authors - 11/16/06 10:52 PM
Just ask Doug for tips on "What Not To Do With Your Girlfriend".

Dave
Posted By: dougwells Re: Favorite Books or Authors - 01/04/07 02:38 AM
I can Add "How much should I charge" by Ellen Rohr
Posted By: LK Re: Favorite Books or Authors - 01/06/07 01:46 PM
"I can Add "How much should I charge" by Ellen Rohr"

She just wrote that book, to use up extra paper laying around, besides that, why read a book, when i can just call a few contractors and find out what they charge, heck there are plenty of them in the phone book, and i see neew ones every year, the older ones must be really busy, because they are NOT IN THE BOOK ANY MORE!
© ECN Electrical Forums