ECN Forum
Posted By: Belectrician Why not residential - 09/01/05 07:30 PM
Why is everyone so scared of residential electrical work?

[This message has been edited by Belectrician (edited 09-01-2005).]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Why not residential - 09/01/05 08:28 PM
You are the reason I will NEVER join. [Linked Image]
Posted By: electricbill Re: Why not residential - 09/01/05 08:51 PM
nice first post!
how about SOME of us make MORE than 1% on commercial jobs...it's all how your company is geared towards..
bill
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Why not residential - 09/01/05 09:18 PM
Correction on your post B..

"""""Why not get out of the industry that is taking your money and get into a profitable organization that knows how to make you money."""""

I think it should read," Why give into an organization that takes your money, when you can be in an industry that makes you money.""

Dnk.....
Posted By: wilkie Re: Why not residential - 09/01/05 11:30 PM
Was that a serious post?
Posted By: luckyshadow Re: Why not residential - 09/01/05 11:41 PM
Some body is not going to make alot of friends with posts like that !
If only you could make second FIRST impressions !

[This message has been edited by luckyshadow (edited 09-01-2005).]
Posted By: LK Re: Why not residential - 09/02/05 12:25 AM
I have no idea where you are from, but commercial work offers profit margins that average from 12 to 17% on average, it also has the benifit of on going maintance, residential work load shifts with the area economy, and you need to worry about saturation in your market area, this occurs when larger marketing service companies enter an area and over price the market, this creates a boom and bust market.

Oh yes, i should run away from the commercial work, last year the profit from that work was a lousey 22% plus.

We have seen these large service companies in the past, most of them dry up, on the first market down turn.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 09-01-2005).]
Posted By: copperseller Re: Why not residential - 09/02/05 12:33 AM
I really don't understand where you are coming from.If you have a good company making good money in commercial...good for you and go for it.
As a residential(90%) electrician,in a good company,well managed,since years our numbers point up.doubled and trippled the revenue in 5 years.

[This message has been edited by copperseller (edited 09-01-2005).]
Posted By: Redsy Re: Why not residential - 09/02/05 01:06 AM
Well, it looks like ESI has sent their minions to infest this site.
Someone call the exterminator!

BTW,

Generally, advertisements and salesmanship are usually prohibited from this board. Attempting to "sell" ESI membership is no different.

Moderators?

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 09-01-2005).]
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Why not residential - 09/02/05 01:55 AM
We do a wide variety of work. Some of our most profitable work is commercial/industrial. We recently completed a job reconfiguring the electric system in a 20,000 sq ft building to suit the new owner. After all materials, labor and overhead were accounted for we made 27% profit, pure profit.

That said, about 50% of our work is residential service and it is also very profitable. Many jobs are near 50% profit, others are closer to break even.

While I'm not going to join ESI, I do think it can be very good for our industry. I can't count the number of times I've read on this site how many of you wish there was an organization like PSI for our industry. It can't hurt. They are just trying to get us electricians to start making the same money our plumber and HVAC friends have been making for years. I'm all for it.

[This message has been edited by Electric Eagle (edited 09-01-2005).]
Posted By: Rick Bruder Re: Why not residential - 09/02/05 02:24 AM
Most of what is being said from ESI members seems to be more in defense of the attacks from those who don't really have a clue about the program. Admittedly, some of the posts (from ESI members)haven't taken into account those of you who are making good money in different areas of the industry. And seem to accuse those who aren't members that you are idiots. And that's not right either.

I know alot of guys making a decent living without ESI or other groups like it. Right Jaimee?

Truth is that ESI is a great program for certain companies. It is a total waste of money for others. It all depends on who you are, what type of work you do, what type of company you want, what size company you want, do you need some business help , etc.

Personally, I have a business vision and plan. ESI happened to fit well in the plan that I set forth with. I have seen good growth and awesome customer satisfaction rates due to alot of training throughout my company. ESI isn't the magic nut for all this, but has been a great tool for me and my employees.

I am not trying to get anyone to join, I only hope to give a little different perspective to those who might otherwise listen to the ignorant. I suggest that if you really want to know more, then go to the ESI site, find some members names, call them/me and ask the hard questions.

I have to admit I have been more than amused by the posts on this subject, both here and in the ESI section. Thanks for a little entertainment.

P.S.
Keep in mind redsy, that ESI did not start this subject, some of just wanted to let those with an open mind know that ESI isn't quite the "scam" that some of you might think.

Don't get me wrong, it's definately not for everyone.
Posted By: dougwells Re: Why not residential - 09/02/05 02:36 AM
well as this thread isn't making much sense I will close it

Please feel free to start another thread

[This message has been edited by dougwells (edited 09-01-2005).]
© ECN Electrical Forums