ECN Forum
Posted By: Dnkldorf Black Listing Customers - 04/14/05 06:17 PM
I don't know if this is done, but do some of you guys in different areas have a way of imforming others in your trade about cusomers who have a history of screwing people.

We all know who I am talking about, the guy that comes off as nice and at the end he yanks your chain.

Had a few, not many through the years and drove by one the other day and saw yet another EC there. Was wondering if he knew what I knew, wether he would do work for the scum.

Any networks out there like I am trying to describe?
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Black Listing Customers - 04/14/05 08:30 PM
I'm not aware of any, but I'd love to check a "Deadbeat List" before working for a new customer. I'm grateful that my list of deadbeats is very small, and that my losses have been minimal...much less than 1%.

Dave
Posted By: Rick Bruder Re: Black Listing Customers - 04/14/05 09:10 PM
I don't know if any exist, but I would love it if someone started a web site just for that. I decided if I ever catch up with things, I was going to look into it. Unfortunately, it is pretty low on my list at the moment. I was talking to someone about it a couple of months ago and we concluded that in todays society, we would have to look hard into the liability end of it.
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Black Listing Customers - 04/14/05 10:34 PM
Rick.

I could see the liability portion you may fear. Todays courts may see that as slander.

However, if it was kept between the local EC's and such, and not posted on a board for all to have access to, maybe we could call it the "Not-So Better Customer Bureau".

In regards to this matter, I have to say, that the local inspectors I deal with give me great heads-up when taking on new clients.

And it seemed when I started out, most of these "deadbeats" were on the Resi End. Either homeowners with big homes, or the builder wanna-be's. The guys who built decks for awhile and moved into remodels or additions. It seems they were the worst.

I even had a wanna-be builder, who tried to keep my retainer. And not pay me for the extras.
After doing 2 homes for him, I wanted out.
He was pissed that I wanted out, and I would not pull permits for the other homes to be built, so he could not start construction.
I had to threaten him with a mechanics lien, and after that he only sent me a portion back.

They are still building homes around here. Makes me wonder how many guys like us he screwed to get ahead.
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Black Listing Customers - 04/14/05 10:57 PM
Sometimes I feel like asking for "reverse references", as in "I'd like the names and phone numbers of your last three electrical contractors".

Dave
Posted By: Rick Bruder Re: Black Listing Customers - 04/14/05 10:57 PM
Well, it would have to be some sort of web site that any elctrical company could subscribe to, otherwise it would be impossible to keep the list up to date without alot of hassle and cost. Keep in mind it would need to be set up so that anyone could go in and post a name and automatically be available to all. If the wording is done properly or if they can be categorized a certain way we may be able to get past the legal junk. I don't really know, I am just brainstorming.
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Black Listing Customers - 04/15/05 12:42 AM
I hear you, cost is always an issue.

Don't know much about web sites either,

Still reading the "internet for dummies".

Just a thought.......

Dnk...
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Black Listing Customers - 04/15/05 01:49 AM
Why do you think the parts houses have coffee and donuts? :-)

Seriously, the "truth is an absolute defense." One of the most important parts of running a business is to know your customer.

Any business lives and dies by its' regular customers...the old 80/20 rule: 80 % of your profit comes from 20 % of your customers. Likewise works for problems, too!

When in doubt, don't be afraid to ask for a deposit. Have a trip charge. Save your sharp pencil rates for established, good customers.

Otherwise, the most important thing is to be without blame yourself. Have a license. Have a good relationship with your AHJ. Know your lien laws. Document the job- thoroughly. And- listen to your heart...if you get nervous, tell the guy you're busy, maybe next time.
Posted By: highvoltageguy Re: Black Listing Customers - 04/15/05 01:55 AM
I use a few site's to look at products and other things often so dont think there is a liabilty issue with saying good or bad about a company or product one I use often is www.epinions.com and another Harley stuff is www.stealer-dealer.com both these been around a long time. so does sound like a good idea, just someone got to have to time to maintain a site like that.

[This message has been edited by highvoltageguy (edited 04-21-2005).]
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: Black Listing Customers - 04/16/05 12:50 AM
I have to wonder if a person or company could use the same approach to get a 'reading' on a customer that is used by a potential employer checking the previous employers of an applicant/candidate. For example, if the hiring employer calls the previous employer(s) they can only ask certain questions or the prior employers can only answer certain questions. One question and it's common response that addresses (or sidesteps) the issue of 'Why did this person leave your company?" is for the potential employer to ask, "Would this person be eligible for rehire?"

Likewise, you could establish a 'list' of individuals or entities who would not be eligible to procure your services for any number of reasons which would not have to be spelled out distinctly and therefore you could avoid any claims of slander or libel.
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Black Listing Customers - 04/16/05 05:36 PM
Why is it that we have to fill out a credit app for a supply house, but we don't make our customers(mainly GC's) do the same?

All we need is who is your Plumber, HVAC, Painter, etc. Then call them and find out how long they've worked for the guy and how he pays. If they all say this is the first or second job or the guy slow pays, then this would be a big red flag!

The main reason we don't is that we know there are 10 other EC's waiting for the job. And the contractor knows this also. Recently I've been doing this in an informal way by just asking who the other subs are without a formal application and calling. I'm looking for GC's that have long track records with their subs and I don't want to bother with the GC's that change subs every other job either for a lower price or bad pay.

I would also be interested in a network that subs and GC's could participate in to rate each other as to payment for the GC and for reliability and qulity for the sub.
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Black Listing Customers - 04/16/05 07:40 PM
Hot topic I guess,

I hope Bill doesn't wipe this out, but informally, what do you think a service like this would be worth to you?

Anyone know what a site cost to construct for this and what the upkeep might be?

Bill if this is considered soliciting, just wipe it off, I'm just looking to see ideas and what it would cost to start.

Just tossing out ideas..

Dnk...
Posted By: JFLS41 Re: Black Listing Customers - 04/21/05 11:56 AM
in the trucking industry, the truck companies use a service called DAC out of Oklahoma, to track the driving and work record of truck drivers, I wonder if you could look up their website and steal some ideas from them? just a thought, doesn't cost anything.
© ECN Electrical Forums