ECN Forum
Posted By: Obsaleet Employee's - 12/26/04 02:59 PM
I am presently turning work away. I do not like to do this and many of my long time customers are becoming frustrated by waiting. So I am thinking it is time to hire some one. I am not sure were to begin? How do I find good people? How much do I need to have in the bank for payroll? Taxes? Co. Policies? Any feed back is welcome [Linked Image]

Phil
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Employee's - 12/26/04 03:55 PM
Phil, are you running any kind of business software, "quickbooks, quicken, ms small business"?
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Employee's - 12/26/04 04:59 PM
I'd consider carefully if my existing situation was profitable, and how adding payroll expense will affect that. Beware unless you know how to recalculate your "break-even" point. More work isn't always the same as more profitable work.

It may be a good oportunity to raise your rates, thereby becoming profitable, or increasing your profits.

Dave
Posted By: Obsaleet Re: Employee's - 12/26/04 05:59 PM
dnkldorf, Iam using Quick books pro. I am in the process of working out things with mt accountant so it will be a better tool. (reports etc.)
Dave,
We do have a handle on our expenses and our rates I like to be as close to the most expensive as possible. We also have some subs that are a big help, but they are couple days here and there. Is this the right track?
Phil
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Employee's - 12/26/04 08:13 PM
I run this business alone, Obsaleet, so I can't be much help. I'd personally rather work 60 hour weeks and rake in the dough! I lost a kitchen job last summer when I was very busy, but she hated the other electrician and had me finish the job when I became available.

Sometimes when I'm busy I bid jobs at overtime since I'll be completing them in overtime hours. I don't get many of them, but the ones I do get are very profitable (and you don't want to be low-bidding when you're busy). Enjoy it while it lasts!

Dave
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Employee's - 12/27/04 09:48 PM
Dave if you enjoy it while it lasts for too long you'll be heading to your grave wondering where your life went. All work no play.......
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Employee's - 12/27/04 10:57 PM
I'm all for smelling the flowers, but with three in college I work it when I have it. There are still slow times when they wish I wasn't around so much.

Dave
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Employee's - 12/28/04 01:31 AM
Ouch! You better get away from the computer and get to work.
© ECN Electrical Forums