ECN Forum
Posted By: frankft Permits and Inspections - 12/05/04 05:54 PM
Here's my question, say you are putting in a microwave recepticle and your area requires a permit. In you area do you have to have that 1 recepticle inspected when you are done? I'm from Maine where only a handfull of towns even have elctrical inspectors. Where there are no town inspector, the master electrician signs off on their own job. Not many failed inspections around here.
Posted By: Roger Re: Permits and Inspections - 12/05/04 08:34 PM
Frank, in my area you would need a permit and an inspection.

In reality I see this as a bad thing in that as a licensed contractor, I need to abide by the rules or put myself in jepardy and so permiting the work will cost the customer more.

This means the customer will me more inclined to do the work as a DIYer or have some unlicensed jack leg do it to save the cost of a permit.

As a licensed contractor, (this is a state license in my state) the contractor should be able to do projects to a limit with his own certification, this would probably mean more work installed by competent persons.

Roger
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Permits and Inspections - 12/05/04 09:09 PM
The problem with the inspection process here is it's not geared for little jobs. I would guess that around here there are not too many permits taken out for little things. I know I have lost some work by insisting on a permit.

If I did not do another permit job in the village/town the same year I might have too:
1. Find out there requirements
2. Go to insurance agent and get a bond for $50-125
3. Register in the town, right or wrong may have to pay $$
4. Get the permit $25-$50
5. Do work
6. Tell customer someone needs to be home for 1/2 the next day for the inspector
7. Call to check results and tell customer

You with extra phone calls, paper work, and driving you add 1-2 more hours to the job. I would think it should cost the customer $200 more with permits and run around.

Last microwave hood install I quoted with rec cut in and new circuit was $300. Customer said the microwave didn't cost that much and hung up. Maybe in the microwave box it should have included an 8 year old from another country to install the thing. Then of corse a prepaid return shipping sticker for the child.

Tom
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Permits and Inspections - 12/05/04 10:24 PM
In my area there is very little compliance with permits in situations like this. It's just like active 1 described. You spend 2 hours doing a job and 4 hours getting the permit.

I don't mind paying a fee and filling out paperwork, but how about a computerized system that all jurisdictions are in to process the application. In my area I regularly pull permits in 9 different jurisdictions. Each has it's own rules, only 1 allows us to pull the permit on the computer and it is the 1 in our town. It can literally take 4 hours to drive, get the permit and drive back. Compliance would be much greater if they made it easier.

We also on some days do 12 or so projects if they are small. I would have to hire 2 people just to pull permits if we got one for each service call.

[This message has been edited by Electric Eagle (edited 12-05-2004).]
Posted By: kinetic Re: Permits and Inspections - 12/06/04 05:03 AM
Getting licensed, bonded, and insured has to be worth something. What is an inspector going to see on a small service job if a competant licensed electrician does the work? I admit an extra set of eyes is nice to point out something you may miss but there has to be a line somewhere. In my state any job valued at under $750 can be performed by an unlicensed contractor as long as they don't advertise as a licensed contractor. If I started to pull permits for my service calls.......well you be the judge. My license should be worth more than a piece of paper on a wall.
Posted By: makokiller Re: Permits and Inspections - 12/07/04 02:05 AM
Here in upstate ny, you only need to be licensed in certain towns. putting in a recp. would be like doing a service call, and who is going to get a permit every time you do a service call?? and why bother the inspector with such a little thing? I'm sure he has better things to do then check out one recp...
Posted By: LK Re: Permits and Inspections - 12/07/04 05:26 AM
It's not just the fines, or loss of lic. for not getting a permit, what if there is no permit, and a loss takes place, are you ready to pay a large loss that the insurer will not cover, because work was not permitted or in some states face criminal charges.
Ya, we all know, it's just a little job, or only one outlet, but that little job, one outlet can determine your future, if all goes wrong.
Posted By: Jacuzzi Guy Electric Re: Permits and Inspections - 12/07/04 05:32 AM
In Michigan, you'll need a permit, and inspection. a $ 15.00 plus $ 60.00 dollar fee. If you've never done any work in that city add $20.00 for registration. Add the minimum charge of $ 200.00 for any service. and the customer gets a great deal for under $300.00 The State also requires you to warranty the work for a year and a half. In my experience, some times, you have to turn new customers away when they want little things done. Unless is a referral and the Customer wants it done right away.
© ECN Electrical Forums