ECN Forum
Posted By: royta phone & fax software for the PC - 11/17/04 03:17 AM
I want to be able to receive faxes, but I don't want to get a third line (1st is personal, 2nd is business) at the house.

Has anybody had any experience with the various programs which run on the PC, and act as your answering machine and fax machine?
Posted By: krstarkie Re: phone & fax software for the PC - 11/17/04 05:22 AM
Our phone company has a distinctive ring option that we use for our fax machine. Our monthly service comes with 3 free options (like caller id, call waiting, voice mail... and distinctive ring) We choose a distinctive ring as one of the options. As an extra it costs $3 or $5? per month. It gives you a seperate phone number that doubles on an existing line. When someone calls that number it rings twice. You can set up any fax machine to recognize the double ring and pick up only those calls. So we have 3 phone #s but only 2 lines. We have the double ring on our home line so that faxes don't tie up the business line.
Posted By: krstarkie Re: phone & fax software for the PC - 11/17/04 05:24 AM
sorry for the double post...

[This message has been edited by krstarkie (edited 11-17-2004).]
Posted By: u2slow Re: phone & fax software for the PC - 11/17/04 05:56 AM
I used WinFax for a while - has an answering machine feature. It works well, but almost overkill with all the extras.

My father inlaw got a fax service from the phone company. They provide a phone number, and anything that's faxed to that number gets sent to your email.
© ECN Electrical Forums