ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Bollards by a utility transformer - 06/30/05 09:56 PM
Joe:

Is there anywhere in the NEC or the NESC that requires bollards by a utility transformer, or any transformer installation be bonded???

Paul O'Connell

I would check with the local utility company since they may not be covered by the NEC. As far as the NESC, I don't know. I am sure someone will come forward and reply.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Bollards by a utility transformer - 06/30/05 10:24 PM
Joe:
Our utility (PSE&G) has the bollard requirements spelled out within there specification book. It basically applies to pad mounts that may be subject to physical damage from vehicles.

They also spec bollards to protect CT cabinets, meter equipment etc., that is within their jurisdiction.

These must be NESC rules/requirements.

As to bonding, the utility pad mounts are bonded when they arrive on site; we provide grd rod(s) based on their specs on the primary side.

John
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Bollards by a utility transformer - 07/01/05 12:00 AM
I repeat Hotline's post: this is a PoCo issue, they are the AHJ...check their standards.

The NEC does require protection from traffic- and that's it. PoCo standards typically tell you how many, how tall, sunk how deep, made how, painted what color, etc. They will also specify WHERE to place the bollards- can't have a bollard blocking line tool access, can we?
I have looked in the NEC, IEEE handbook, NESC handbook,in 40 years I have never seen it done, bollard bonding along with bonding the manhole cover, yet I am being told by a sub contractor for the DOE hired to do NEC inspections that these are both code violations. I would appreciate any input available.
© ECN Electrical Forums