ECN Forum
Posted By: George Little What is it? - 05/10/05 01:56 AM
Can someone look at the text at 250.70(1) and tell me or better yet post a picture of what the code is talking about here?
Posted By: Fred Re: What is it? - 05/10/05 02:28 AM
George, I wish I had saved one of these just for a conversation piece. On a lot of 1930-1940 era services around here they grounded the meterbase and ran a piece of 1/2" rigid down to the ground to protect the bare #6. On the bottom end of the 1/2" rigid was a yoke that threaded on to the pipe and had a flat clamp with a 5/16" bolt through it to sandwich the GEC as it exited the pipe. Never have been able to take one apart. They were always grown into one piece from corrosion where they were in contact with the soil. I've pitched dozens. I think Blackburn still makes these.
Posted By: Roger Re: What is it? - 05/10/05 02:22 PM
George, we still use these (we call them City Hubs) on a regular basis. Below you will find a picture of one.

[Linked Image from elec-cat.tnb.com]

Below is a recent job where we are using them for the GEC's of SDS's on a hospital project. It's not a very good picture though and they are floating.

[Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: gfretwell Re: What is it? - 05/10/05 03:37 PM
I think the operative part of the question/answer is you can use the same hub to make a <pipe> electrode connection that you use to bond the far end of the GEC raceway. I am sure we have all seen those connectors.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: What is it? - 05/10/05 05:09 PM
Roger: Thats a great picture...do you mind if I use it in some of my classes?

Also, it is intersting to note that the busbar termination wasn't really permitted until 2005 [Linked Image]
Posted By: George Little Re: What is it? - 05/10/05 06:04 PM
Yes Roger I agree with Ryan -That's an excllent picture. I know what they now are and they are still in use today. Thanks.
Posted By: iwire Re: What is it? - 05/10/05 06:43 PM
Ryan

it is intersting to note that the busbar termination wasn't really permitted until 2005

That only applies to service GECs, take a look at 2002 250.30(A)(3)(b). [Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: Roger Re: What is it? - 05/10/05 06:43 PM
George, you're welcome.

Ryan, you are more than welcome to use the picture. I'll post a few more from this room in the pictures forum later.

Roger
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: What is it? - 05/10/05 09:38 PM
See the 1999 NEC Section 250-64(C)

Exception: Busbars shall be permitted to have splices.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: What is it? - 05/10/05 10:44 PM
Thanks Bob.
Posted By: harold endean Re: What is it? - 05/11/05 03:15 AM
I was always told that they were used in order to prevent a "Choke" by bonding the GEC to the metal pipe.
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: What is it? - 05/11/05 05:28 PM
Joe,
See the 1999 NEC Section 250-64(C)
Exception: Busbars shall be permitted to have splices.
Does that exception permit the use of a busbar to splice other grounding electrode conductors, or does it just permit a busbar that is used as the grounding electrode conductor to have splices. I think that it only permits busbars used as GECs to have splices. The change in the 2005 code seems to change this and permit the busbar to be used as a splice point for other GECs.
Don
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: What is it? - 05/20/05 10:22 PM
Don

I think they wanted to say that the GEC could be run to the busbar for splicing as it is now, anyway now it is clear.
© ECN Electrical Forums