ECN Forum
Posted By: shortcircuit Manhole Cover - 05/09/05 12:02 PM
If a non-metalic handhole has a metalic cover, is it required to be bonded according to 2005 NEC?

shortcircuit
Posted By: Yoopersup Re: Manhole Cover - 05/09/05 12:39 PM
Been in a lot of them Utility and Privitely owned Have never seen one Bonded to date.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Manhole Cover - 05/09/05 12:44 PM
See 314.29(D) Covers. Handhole enclosure covers shall have an identifying
mark or logo that prominently identifies the function of
the enclosure, such as “electric.” Handhole enclosure covers
shall require the use of tools to open, or they shall weigh over
45 kg (100 lb). Metal covers and other exposed conductive
surfaces shall be bonded in accordance with 250.96(A).
Posted By: Yoopersup Re: Manhole Cover - 05/09/05 01:29 PM
Please Post a Pic of a GROUNDED or BONDED manhole cover, I gotta see that!I;m not talking little I;m talking a 8x8x 6ft 6 or so.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Manhole Cover - 05/09/05 05:11 PM
See Article 110, Part V. for Manholes and Other Electric Enclosures Intended
for Personnel Entry, All Voltages

We are discussing "handholes"

I could not find anything in the "manholes" reference above that would satisify your question about them. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Yoopersup Re: Manhole Cover - 05/09/05 06:04 PM
Handholes I agree with but even thoses are going to get interesting , But All the ones I;ve seen to date have had noncontuctive covers. And if The conductors in a lot of cases are pulled right thur then what(if covers metal)??
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Manhole Cover - 05/09/05 09:20 PM
While it is rarely done, 250.4(A)(3) requires the manhole cover to be bonded to provide an effective fault clearing path. Note that a large number of the manholes are owned by utilities and not subject to the NEC.
Don
Posted By: shortcircuit Re: Manhole Cover - 05/09/05 10:13 PM
Guys...sorry...I messed up the topic heading with the wording MANHOLE [Linked Image]

The topic heading was supposed to be HANDHOLE Covers.

I'm interested in what is required by 2005 NEC regarding bonding of metalic handhole covers that are used on non-metalic handhole.

Lets say a concrete precast base with a metalic cover used as a juction box in the ground.

thanx

shortcircuit
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Manhole Cover - 05/09/05 11:28 PM
Again!

See 314.29(D) Covers. Handhole enclosure covers shall have an identifying
mark or logo that prominently identifies the function of
the enclosure, such as “electric.” Handhole enclosure covers
shall require the use of tools to open, or they shall weigh over
45 kg (100 lb). Metal covers and other exposed conductive
surfaces shall be bonded in accordance with 250.96(A).
Posted By: shortcircuit Re: Manhole Cover - 05/10/05 01:10 AM
Thanx for the input guys...

So, according to Dons post, 250.4(A)(3) seems to require bonding of this metalic handhole cover used for enclosing electrical conductors...

But, according to Joes post, 250.96(A) seems to only require bonding of this metalic handhole cover if it is to serve as a grounding conductor...

Which rule do I follow?

shortcircuit
Posted By: Paul O'Connell Re: Manhole Cover - 07/03/05 05:11 PM
NESC do not require handhole covers to be bonded.
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Manhole Cover - 07/03/05 09:17 PM
Paul,
Most of the questions on this site involve electrical contractors who are subject to the NEC, not the NESC, and the NEC requires this bonding. Based on the number of deaths and injuries caused each year by unbonded covers in installations under the NESC, it is my opinion that the NESC should be changed to protect the public.
Don

edited to add missing words

[This message has been edited by resqcapt19 (edited 07-03-2005).]
Posted By: Yoopersup Re: Manhole Cover - 07/04/05 01:20 AM
Handhole, When you put up a pole theres a Handhole Right. The pole is bonded. Is the Cover?? (No) Handholes in the Ground Every one I;ve seen to date have been nonconductive with covers of the same so bonding has not been an Issue. Anyone whos been in any amount of manholes (Larger) knows theres usually a Grounding buss. There usually concrete and openings about 7ft 6 inches to 8ft up. Since deregulation I;ve worked on a LOT of 13.8 -4160 ect so its in the realm of the Electrical contractor.I have never seen a Manhole cover Grounded or seen a Kit to ground one.
Posted By: Paul O'Connell Re: Manhole Cover - 08/06/05 05:18 PM
I agree with the fact there is no requirement in the NEC or the NESC of bonding the Manhole Cover. On the DOE project I am on the DOE does not come up with Code arguments but come up with incidents where because the action was not taken an incident happened. Our solution to this was to bond the ring of the manhole itself thus providing a bond between the ring and the cover caused by the weight of the cover. BTW there is no requirement either in the code requiring the bonding of Vault or Substation doors.
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Manhole Cover - 08/06/05 06:53 PM
Paul,
I agree with the fact there is no requirement in the NEC or the NESC of bonding the Manhole Cover.
250.4(A)(3)requires this bonding.
Don
© ECN Electrical Forums